We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcatraz ?s

I KU MAU MAU
Level Contributor
788 posts
Save Topic
Alcatraz ?s

Aloha. Going to be in the SF bay area next week. I've seen the Alcatraz website but wanted to know if I could this tour on a spur of the moment thing. Not really interested in the audio tour but thought a self guided or ranger led tour would be more our style. What do you think our chances are if we just go down to the dock and try to get a ferry over there? Or do they sell out weeks in advance? Mahalo for any info.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcatraz ?s

That is a gamble. They do sell out and October is a busy month for visitors in San Francisco. When people want to get tickets and they are sold out, they usually go down first thing in the morning and there are some spots available. However, there is not a choice and you would have to go whenever it was available.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcatraz ?s

Wes is correct. There is one other wrinkle. A different operator is taking over the tours starting next week. We don't know if there will be some kinks to work out, nor do we know their procedure for any "stand by" tickets. It might be best to have it taken care of beforehand. Tours are largely at your own pace. You don't have to stay with a group. Aloha!

http://alcatrazcruises.com/

England
Level Contributor
139 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcatraz ?s

Hi,

I would suggest booking asap.

On our trip in June/July, we went down to the booking booth at the Wharf on a Tuesday, and got a trip for the Thursday.

We didn't mind because we were there for a week, but if you are in a rush - book asap.

Photos of the trip to Alcatraz, and the San Francisco Bay Area can be found here:

http://www.shanefergusonphotography.co.uk

Hope you have an enjoyable trip.

Regards,

Shane :-)

london
Level Contributor
144 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcatraz ?s

We are on honeymoon and went to Alcatraz last friday - we are glad we booked up in advance because when we arrives the next tour available was Monday - however we went back down to the wharf on tuesday and their were tours available that day.

I can highly recommend the night tour - it adds to the spookiness and there arent too many people there.

The audio tour was great - im not a fan of these things and would suggest that if you cant get a ranger led tour then dont shy away from the audio tour .

Have a fab time

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
379 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcatraz ?s

I want to go to Alcatraz when on vacation three weeks from today. If I make the reservations through the Alcatraz web site, I don't expect to have problems.

I would like to hear if the Alcatraz tour is a cool thing to do. I am sure that it is.

I KU MAU MAU
Level Contributor
788 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcatraz ?s

Mahalo! You guys are da bomb! I'll make reservations right now. Aloha

7. Re: Alcatraz ?s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 13:15