We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping-vacaville.

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
shopping-vacaville.

we are planning to go to vacaville for a one day shopping spree, can we take a bus or we have to rent a car.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping-vacaville.

We do have a Greyhound bus stop here, I would assume they have regular trips to and from San Francisco. You can call to find out times or visit their website.

The outlet stores/Vacaville are about 65 miles from San Francisco, one toll booth going to and one toll booth going back, just an FYI.

$4 Traffic going out of San Francisco and then again as you approach Fairfield (just before Vacaville on interstate 80) doesn't really make any difference on the day of the week but Fridays are the worst for congestion.

If you drive you can easily jump over to Napa for a visit while you're up this way.

Have a safe trip.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping-vacaville.

Good Lord, if you have a Greyhound bus option, take it. As long as you're going to be stuck in that gawdawful traffic on I-80, you might as well have someone else do the driving.

www.greyhound.com

The bus line office is 425 Mission St # 3, San Francisco, 94105 - (415) 495-1569

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
676 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping-vacaville.

Oh and uh, from the Greyhound bus stop you'll need to get a taxi to the outlet stores, sorry forgot to mention that earlier.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
582 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping-vacaville.

The Vacaville outlets are not all that special and may not be worth the expense and hassle of getting there. If you're going to Sacramento or Lake Tahoe from the Bay Area, it can be worth a stop, but as part of a San Francisco vacation, I don't know.

Also, if you decide to go, be sure to see how long it will take by Greyhound because the bus might make a bunch of stops. Probably worth it to rent a car and go sightseeing along the way rather than a long bus ride and then a taxi.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
582 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping-vacaville.

The Vacaville outlets are not all that special and may not be worth the expense and hassle of getting there. If you're going to Sacramento or Lake Tahoe from the Bay Area, it can be worth a stop, but as part of a San Francisco vacation, I don't know.

Also, if you decide to go, be sure to see how long it will take by Greyhound because the bus might make a bunch of stops. Probably worth it to rent a car and go sightseeing along the way rather than a long bus ride and then a taxi.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shopping-vacaville.

The factory outlet mall at Vacaville is the best factory outlet mall in Northern California. It's not at all clear that the savings on what you will buy will be enough to justify the cost of renting a car. It really depends on how much you buy. If you do go, check out the website www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp… and be sure to join the VIP Club and print out all the special sales and coupons. My impression is that retail competition is more intense in the US than in Canada, so you might do quite well at Vacaville.

vancouver
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: shopping-vacaville.

thanks guys, maybe i should forget vacaville and stay and shop in san francisco, we will be staying at the embarcadero area ,any shopping malls that we should check out thanks again.....,

Santa Clara, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shopping-vacaville.

Dear Kido,

Okay-now if you are a shopping professional like me this is what I would recommend. If you want to visit SF/North Bay and go shopping, probably stay in SF (visit the city) and then take a shopping bus tour. You can do a "google" search in SF for bus shopping tours and find out which suits your needs.

There is lots of great shopping here in the South Bay. I would recommend-Stanford Shopping Center in Palo Alto, CA; Santana Row in San Jose, CA; Valley Fair Shopping Center, San Jose, CA; and the Gilroy Outlets, Gilroy, CA.

Whatever you do--do not be on HWY 101 or 280 (or most major highways) from 7am-9:30am, or from 3:30pm-7:00pm (weekdays). The traffic in the Bay Area is really bad and you'll be stuck for several hours! Have fun and happy shopping!

Truly, BayAreaPrincess

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shopping-vacaville.

There are plenty of shopping malls/areas nearby where you are staying. The closest being Embarcadero Center, Westfield and San Francisco Malls at Market and 5th streets, and Union Square.

There is also Stonestown mall which is about a 30 minute MUNI train ride from the Embarcadero

10. Re: shopping-vacaville.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 04:16