We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern California Driving Trip

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Southern California Driving Trip

My husband and I [early 30s] will be flying into San Francisco and driving to San Diego. Any input on our itinerary will be much appreciated:

3 days San Francisco [Alcatraz, Golden Gate Park, China Town]

drive to Monterey stopping at the Elephant Seals reserve along the way.

2 days Monterey - Monterey Bay Aquarium, Carmel browsing shops. Then drive to Santa Barbara stopping at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, Nepenthe and Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park [is this do-able in a day???], and of course stopping along the big sur drive...

2 days Santa Barbara [shopping, relaxing, hiking]. Then drive to San Diego - is it possible to actually bypass LA - any help with driving directions?

3 days San Diego - gaslamp district, la jolla, hiking, we are thinking of snorkeling and hang gliding any suggestions on companies?

Please help....

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Southern California Driving Trip

SwingCha writes>>My reference is to the site from which you can see La Cuesta Encantada where sea lions congregate. Izzat the beach at San Simeon State Park? For some reason, m'mind says it's Piedras Negras but apparently it isn't......<<

Piedras BLANCAS and those animals congregating (and are under discussion here) are elephant seals.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Southern California Driving Trip

Caffiend «SwingCha writes>>My reference is to the site from which you can see La Cuesta Encantada where sea lions congregate. Izzat the beach at San Simeon State Park? For some reason, m'mind says it's Piedras Negras but apparently it isn't......<<

«Piedras BLANCAS and those animals congregating (and are under discussion here) are elephant seals.»

¡Híjole! and Oy veh!

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Southern California Driving Trip

sounds good but to SD you must pass through LA, if you time it right and get lucky the traffic might not be too bad

when in Monterey/Carmel area checkout Point Lobos Reserve, it is some of the best scenery in CA

Encinitas, CA
Destination Expert
for Encinitas
Level Contributor
562 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Southern California Driving Trip

SwingCha said «I endorse the advice you've already received but wish to urge you to not miss the Santa Barbara County Courthouse, among my favorite buildings on the planet.»

You were probably thinking "why the heck would I want to visit the county courthouse!", but I strongly second the recommendation. After several visits to Santa Barbara we finally made it to the courthouse on our last trip and it was the highlight of the trip! You can get some idea from their website, but it doesn't really do it justice:

www.santabarbaracourthouse.org

Also, for your hiking in San Diego, go to Torrey Pines State Reserve - on the bluffs between La Jolla and Del Mar, great trails, beautiful ocean views!

15. Re: Southern California Driving Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 19:18