We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip in April

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
35 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip in April

My husband and I are going to be in San Francisco for the first time in April. He has some business he'll have to do, but we don't want to stay at a "convention hotel". Would love to be in an area where we can walk to great restaurants, shops, etc.

We can get a car, but don't have to -- what would you suggest.

Also, this will just be a long weekend what do we HAVE to see while in town to fully appreciate our tip.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip in April

Looks like I'm the one who is first to be wake, so expect the regulars to add much more info.

Look into these hotels: Chancellor, Donatelo, Cartwright. They are not the big box hotels, and are perfectly positioned for you to walk whereever you need to go downtown.

Take the shuttle or train/BART from SFO. You do not need or want a car downtown!

Take the city tour of San Francisco. Then either rent a car or take a tour to Napa wine country. Muir Woods is also advisable.

So much more. So little time!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip in April

A car will simply be a hindrance in SF. Take cabs or Muni (the streetcar/bus/cable car/trolley bus system). If you are planning a day trip outside of SF, you can book your car for that single day and return it before you have to pay high fees to park in the city.

As for what do you HAVE to see: Go to the lefthand side of this page and click on the travel wiki that says something like "Know San Francisco?" You'll find a link called "The One Thing You Must Do..." It's a great place to start, according to yours and your husband's druthers.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip in April

jlnjz asked «what do we HAVE to see while in town to fully appreciate our tip.»

You have to see whatever it is that most interests you!

The "Don't-miss SIGHTS in San Francisco" page geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html has enough to keep you busy for nine twelve-hour days. It includes links to your best source of advice on WHERE TO EAT here, the UseNet Group ba.food, and the quite-good sfSurvey. It also has a WEATHER CHART with a link to current conditions.

The best on-line MAP of San Francisco is an inter-active PDF created for the San Francisco Municipal Railway: geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/CityWide.pdf. I recommend 150% or greater magnification. There's also a link that will tell you HOW TO GET THERE FROM HERE. Other links on the page, geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/FlagMaps.html are a map of our CABLE CAR ROUTES and a superb map of GOLDEN GATE PARK.

The frequently-updated SPECIAL EVENTS page has irregularly-scheduled music and dances as well as links to seven calendars of regularly-scheduled dances, a composite of five of them, and one of dance cruises and events around the world: http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
160 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip in April

I'm going back to SF for springbreak with my two kids, ages 7 and 12. I took the older one two years ago. We loved the Argonaut Hotel. The Maritime Museum is right across the street, G. Square is across the other street, the street car line ends there. Perfect location. From the Argonaut, we walked Fisherman's Wharf, caught the aquarium which we really enjoyed. And there are many great restaurants nearby.

So we're running the same play this time only with another child along. :-)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip in April

I am going to recommend the Hotel Vitale. It is a smaller intimate hotel that is amazing. It at the Embarcadero and it has amazing views. You can easily get around. The California Street cable car is 2 blocks away, the buses and street cars stop basically outside the door. You're across the street from Boulevard (excellent restaurant) and the Ferry Building (a foodie paradise.) Union Square is easy to get to, as are Chinatown and the Wharf. If you don't want a "convention" hotel, this is definitely the place in my opinion.

Don't rent a car. Not only are parking costs quite expensive, but there is just not a need for one.

I do highly recommend buying a Muni Pass if you plan to ride the cable car more than once. The cable car is $5 each time you board and there are no transfers so it adds up very quickly.

6. Re: First Trip in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 06:27