We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in sf?

ny, ny
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where to stay in sf?

I am looking for a nice hotel for me (mom) and my 11 yr. old daughter who are planning a trip to s.f. in feb. I don't plan on renting a car(??) so location is important...as is quality of the hotel! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Any great places to sightsee welcome as well...ny mom!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in sf?

How much are you looking to spend on the hotel, and are their any specific things you are looking for in a property?

There are two main hotel areas in SF, Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square. Both are good areas with muliple choices (Union Square probably has a few more choices) and have easy access to the sites of the city.

I personally stay in Union Square when I go to SF because I feel that almost everything except Fisherman's Wharf is in walking distance of the hotels. I have stayed in Kimpton Properties there (www.kimptonhotels.com), but there are many good choices that will be recommended by others.

Enjoy your trip!

dctravel

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in sf?

Definitely let us know what is important to you in the way of a hotel. When you say quality, to you mean simply a clean, safe place to sleep or do you mean the Four Seasons?

Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square are generally where most tourists typically like to stay. Another option that isn't quite as popular, but excellent would be the hotels around the Embarcadero. Fisherman's Wharf is generally where people with children seem to like to stay and it is definitely very "kid friendly".

Let us know what you're looking for and we'll be able to give you more specific advice!

ny, ny
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in sf?

Thanks for the info. What I'm looking for in a hotel is centrally located so that we can walk to lots of different places or take the subway or trolleys around. I'd love a hotel that's clean, safe area and at least a 4 star rating! Also a hotel near restaurants so we can go about and grab breakfast someplace close by. thank you!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in sf?

In your case, I am going to recommend Union Square. You'll have plenty of restaurants within steps of your hotel and in my opinion, what you get for your money is generally better there than @ Fisherman's Wharf.

Hotels to consider:

Campton Place

The Westin St. Francis

The Hotel Palomar

The JW Marriott San Francisco

The Parc 55

If you want to stay @ the Wharf, the hotel that I would recommend would be The Argonaut. The cable car turn around is half a block away and it would be a place your daughter would love. Caters to families.

You may wish to consider taking a Fire Truck Tour. I know that a few families with children have really enjoyed it.

There is also a Chinatown tour that may be interesting for the two of you. www.allaboutchinatown.com I have heard good things from a couple reviews on here and from what I've read, it sounds like it could be pretty interesting.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in sf?

nyella said «location is important»

Any Union Square hotel to your liking would be your best choice.

Although you didn't ask, you might find the following helpful:

The "Don't-miss SIGHTS in San Francisco" page geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html has enough to keep you busy for nine twelve-hour days. It includes links to your best source of advice on WHERE TO EAT here, the UseNet Group ba.food, and the quite-good sfSurvey. It also has a WEATHER CHART with a link to current conditions.

The best on-line MAP of San Francisco is an inter-active PDF created for the San Francisco Municipal Railway: geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/CityWide.pdf. I recommend 150% or greater magnification. There's also a link that will tell you HOW TO GET THERE FROM HERE. Other links on the page, geocities.com/iconoc/Grafix/FlagMaps.html are a map of our CABLE CAR ROUTES and a superb map of GOLDEN GATE PARK.

The frequently-updated SPECIAL EVENTS page has irregularly-scheduled music and dances as well as links to seven calendars of regularly-scheduled dances, a composite of five of them, and one of dance cruises and events around the world: http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html

ny, ny
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in sf?

To SwingCha & Saks,

Thanks so much for all the info.!! The hotels you recommended were the ones I was considering but awaiting more info. on! I think Union Square sounds like a best bet for us. I hope the weather in Feb. is not too cold! I'm sure from what I've researched and read that there will be plenty for us to see and do! Thanks again! If you think of anything else, please let me know!

7. Re: where to stay in sf?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 11:21