We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative plans...looking for input

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tentative plans...looking for input

We have two full days prior to me giving time back to the company. We arrive on Friday around supper time, so any restaurant suggestions near the International Hotel are appreciated. Traveling all day, so somewhere near by the hotel, simple with a good beer or wine will do here.

Saturday (so far) - visit Alcatraz first thing (we have tickets); visit the Ferry Building and Fisherman's Warf. Not sure how long all of this will take....from there not sure just yet.

Sunday - plan to visit Chinatown and bike across the bridge into Sausalito. Not sure which to do first; suggestions welcome. Again, not sure if this will occupy the full day....

Food suggestions - We would likely do something simple for breakfast and lunch, but open to suggestions for Supper. We like Seafood, Classic American and Italian options. Don't want to get too carried away with price, but does not have to be the cheapest in town, and we prefer a small/local feel when possible. Suggestions?

We move hotels to the Financial District on Monday, and I will have Monday evening open after about 4PM and Wednesday open after noon. Any suggestions for place to see and things to do during these times based on what I have posted/planned above? Considering Twin Peaks, Golden Gate Park; would love to see the redwoods, but not sure that makes sense this time around. Wouldn't mind some culture either, but have not looked into plays, etc yet....Not real interested in shopping just to shop.

We plan to have Muni passes, so that would be our primary form of transportation for all of these activities. Considering the City Pass idea for my spouse. She will be on her own while I am at the work functions. Thoughts and ideas for her during these times?

I have the official visitors guide, so i have maps and the basics...Looking for ideas to finalize our plan.

Mentioned in this post
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Twin Peaks
Twin Peaks
5,698 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,629 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
50,368 posts
1,670 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tentative plans...looking for input

OK, as one Bulldog, to another, here are some little suggestions:

Breakfast - Perry's, near the Ferry Plaza has impressed me, but then, so has the Four Seasons, about 10 blocks away.

For lunch, again the Ferry Plaza, and I love the Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant, and their tasting counter.

Dinner? Wow, there are so many options, but here are a few, though one must weigh the price-points:

Boulevard

RN74

Campton Place

Michael Mina

Farallon

ANZU

But just a few options.

Enjoy,

Hunt

Mentioned in this post
Michael Mina
Michael Mina
590 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative plans...looking for input

From your other post, I believe you mean the Intercontinental Hotel. If you say International, you are likely to get a blank stare or the cabby will take you to a hostel.

Since it is still not as well known as the Mark Hopkins, it also helps to mention it is on Howard as opposed to the Intercontinental (Mark Hopkins) on Nob Hill.

Mentioned in this post
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco
InterContinental Mark...
2,697 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Nob Hill
Nob Hill
193 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,227 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative plans...looking for input

>>>restaurant suggestions near the International Hotel are appreciated. <<<

Do you mean the Intercontinental Hotel? I don't know of an "International Hotel" in San Francisco

EDIT......(We were typing at thte same time)

Edited: 08 April 2016, 05:06
Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative plans...looking for input

I second the recommendation for Boulevard. We were there for a celebration last night. It will be a relatively expensive option and reservations are strongly suggested, particularly for prime seatings.

Perbacco on California is a mid-price option for lunch or dinner.

Kokkari is a Greek/Mediterrranean influenced restaurant that is quite good.

Beach Blanket Babylon is not high culture, but it is highly entertaining.

Mentioned in this post
Perbacco
Perbacco
757 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
California
California
United States
Beach Blanket Babylon
Beach Blanket Babylon
1,875 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,624 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative plans...looking for input

BBB is definitely entertaining. Parts of it is political and leans far far Left.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tentative plans...looking for input

If you go to Beach Blanket Babylon on Saturday night, eat in North Beach at Park Tavern, Sotto Mare, or Tony's pizza.

Perhaps Boulevard for Sunday night, it is wonderful though a little pricey. There is Tadich Grill for fish. You could opt to visit a neighborhood restaurant such as Parma or Bistro Aix in the Marina. Or Elite Cafe or SPQR in Pacific Heights.

On Monday, perhaps a cocktail at the Top of The Mark Hopkins and dinner at Venticello.

Your wife might like to check out Golden Gate Park and the De Young Museum, which has a great Oscar de la Renta exhibit on now. Be sure to take the elevator to the tower top for the view.

Mentioned in this post
Beach Blanket Babylon
Beach Blanket Babylon
1,875 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
North Beach
North Beach
265 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Tadich Grill
Tadich Grill
1,897 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
SPQR
SPQR
364 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Pacific Heights
Pacific Heights
85 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Top of the Mark
Top of the Mark
1,030 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,629 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
de Young Museum
de Young Museum
1,913 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tentative plans...looking for input

Oh, and your wife might enjoy a small group tour with a company such as Dylan's. She will see most of the neighborhoods and Muir Woods if she chooses that option.

Mentioned in this post
Dylan's Tours
Dylan's Tours
2,557 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tentative plans...looking for input

Thanks for the clarification/correction on the hotel name. It was late and I was tired.

9. Re: Tentative plans...looking for input

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2017, 06:17