We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking up someone from SFO Airport, how long does it take?

Palo Alto...
3 posts
Save Topic
Picking up someone from SFO Airport, how long does it take?

Hi,

I will be picking up someone from the SFO Airport and wanted to ask if someone can tell me about what time I have to be there.

I wanted to arrive a little earlier and wait at the cell phone lot.

Thank you and have a nice day,

Philipp

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking up someone from SFO Airport, how long does it take?

>>someone can tell me about what time I have to be there. I wanted to arrive a little earlier and wait at the cell phone lot.<<

I don't think I fully understand the question... arrive 20-30 minutes before their flight arrival, if that's what you want to do.

Are you asking how long it takes to get to SFO from Palo Alto? (What day of the week? What time of day? -- Generically, I'd allow an hour) How long it takes to get from the cell phone lot to the arrivals area? (10 min.) How long it will take the passenger to be ready for pickup after their flight lands? (International or domestic arrival? If International, are they a US citizen or not? Do they have GOES? Baggage or no baggage? International arrival, non-US citizen with luggage can be an hour or more.)

Mentioned in this post
Palo Alto
Palo Alto
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,379 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking up someone from SFO Airport, how long does it take?

Where is the person coming from ? Checked luggage or carry on ?

Palo Alto...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking up someone from SFO Airport, how long does it take?

He's coming from Germany, so checked luggage.

Palo Alto...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Picking up someone from SFO Airport, how long does it take?

Sorry it wasn't clear. I meant the third option. He's a german citizen arriving with an international flight. So I want to know how long it will take so he's ready for pickup.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,068 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picking up someone from SFO Airport, how long does it take?

I would arrive at the time his plane lands, or maybe even a bit later. Sometimes for international pick ups we'd even arrive 30 min after the plane lands.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picking up someone from SFO Airport, how long does it take?

It is hard to time exactly. Sometimes when the plane lands there are other inbound flights arriving at about the same time, suddenly double-up or triple-up the immigration queue. US Citizens get through faster (different lines) than foreign visitors. I think generally 1 hour after the flight's arrival time would be a safe bet for non-US Citizen and with check-in luggage. It sounds like you don't want to park your car to greet your associate at the Arrival Hall? Parking temporarily at the waiting area has its pressure too. Maybe you can stop by one of the fast food places on El Camino Real, Millbrae, to wait for your associate's phone call. You can get there in about 5 to 10 minutes. You can sit down, relax, have a drink, browse the internet without the edgy feeling.

Mentioned in this post
Millbrae
Millbrae
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,379 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Picking up someone from SFO Airport, how long does it take?

Check arrival time and add about 45 minutes to 60 minutes after arrival for him/her to come out. I presume the traveler has a phone. If not it may be easier to park and wait inside about an hour after flight lands

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Picking up someone from SFO Airport, how long does it take?

I think it's nice to meet your overseas guests at the arrival hall. It's not very expensive to park. It's what we usually do.

9. Re: Picking up someone from SFO Airport, how long does it take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2017, 06:17