We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muir Woods by Public Transport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Muir Woods by Public Transport

I am really grateful for this forum and that I can come here and get advice.

I am just starting to plan a trip to San Fransisco and wanted to know if it is possible to visit Muir Woods without hiring a car - preferably by taking public transport.

I will be staying in San Fransisco for part of the time and Tiburon for part of the time.

I would appreciate any guidance anyone can give me.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Muir Woods by Public Transport

The short answer is no, unless it is a weekend during the summer. The last couple of years, Golden Gate transit has run a shuttle on weekends from Marin City. You could hike there from Mill Valley, but it isn't a stroll.

www.nps.gov/archive/muwo/news/index.htm

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Muir Woods by Public Transport

Thanks very much for the prompt reply. Although I hoped it was a different answer it was the one I expected. I will look into walking from Mill Valley. WIth thanks.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,527 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Muir Woods by Public Transport

Grayline offers Day Tours to the Muir Woods and Sausalito from San Francisco. Info at:

http://tinyurl.com/34xkot

Near San Francisco
Level Contributor
60 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Muir Woods by Public Transport

Hello, Muir woods in the summer. what a Zoo! so crowded. If you have time for a drive I recommend Armstrong woods in the town of Guernville. it is a 1hour 30 minute drive North into Sonoma County. but so peaceful there. good trails. big old redwood trees. plus the drive is so beautiful, some wineries, russian river for swimming, funky tiny towns along the way.

If you don't have much time but want to see some redwoods might I suggest Old Mill Park in the town of Mill Valley. You could walk from downtown mill valley, cool your feet in the small stream, see the big trees and no traffic, no tourists. We go there all the time in the summer because it is always cool and shady. nice playground, library right next door. lots of good window shopping, coffee shops, and a lively plaza in the center of town.

Mentioned in this post
Sonoma County
Sonoma County
California
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Muir Woods by Public Transport

Golden Gate Transit operates summer weekend/holiday bus service to Muir Woods on route 66: goldengate.org/news/transit/muirwoods.php

During the rest of the year, West Marin Stagecoach (Marin Transit) operates near but not necessarily directly to Muir Woods on route 61: www.marintransit.org/stageschedules.html

Otherwise, you will have to take a day trip from a tour operator or rent a car.

6. Re: Muir Woods by Public Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 02:20