We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

saipan trip

grand rapids, mi
1 post
Save Topic
saipan trip

next october i was thinking about traveling to saipan. i was wondering if it's easy to find cheap hotels. by cheap i mean just basic a/c and a small fridge is all I need. I live on 850/month ssdi.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
293 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: saipan trip

summer hoiiday is $55 a night, all amenities, although the shower water is very salty and smells like bleach. good location, very clean. free wi fi too

China
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: saipan trip

This response is probably too late to do you any good, but the Summer Palace, near Marianas High School, fits your description. It is about $35/day or $400/month.

Boston...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: saipan trip

I have a buddy who on SSDI but get less than you $710 I think. He want's to move to sapien with me because he cant live on that in the mainland. I would love to tell him yes- if he has a bare min $250-300 hotel and real careful with power. He don't drink and obviously he not living a extravagnt lifestyle in the mainland- but I worry the price of food is going to clobber him. They take his gov insurance.. but will they accept his foodstamps. That bring it up to a lil more than OP is commin with. What would you tell him?

Boston...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: saipan trip

I am not sure if I get what the OP trying to say if he looking to move on that for more than just a trip- or do what my buddy was saying- I didn't mean to hijack his thread just remind me that I told him I look into it for him..

Saipan, Mariana...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: saipan trip

THERE are few certainties in life, but one is that tourists who come here will be robbed. Not all, of course, but enough to maintain our lousy reputation.

The latest incident, with the Chinese tourist who went diving with Harry Blalock, is a prime example. Wing Beach is notorious for criminals. I have seen them myself and called Crime Stoppers. But nothing was ever done — the bad guys were probably connected. You know how that goes.

But it wasn’t just the tourist who lost his hotel key from Harry’s truck at the beach, Harry’s place was burglarized also, and then the Chinese guy’s hotel room at the Hafa Adai was also burglarized.

We have seen this before, and we remember the unfortunate Russian visitor who was assaulted, her rental car and possessions stolen, in broad daylight at Suicide Cliff. I am sure she won’t be back any time soon.

If there is a plus side to this, that there are often outpourings of sympathy, and (in the Russian woman’s case) a free rental care from Doug Brennan at Microl. I don’t know if the Chinese community has rallied to help the young man, but I hope they are doing so. The Chinese community is very strong and positive here.

In the meantime, the beaches remain open to tourists, and to the rats who would rob them.

The hotels — all of them — must post signs in each room, warning the tourists to leave their valuables locked in the room safe, or at the hotel desk. This is an emergency and it’s grave. Flame Tree TV, especially its Channel 3 offering, needs to warn the tourists, in Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Russian, and frequently. This is serious business.

As Harry Blalock said on the KSPN-2 news, our tourism is going to take a major hit, once these stories begin to circulate in the social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, QQ, and other sites foreigners use. That is why the hotels and the local TV and radio stations ought to be broadcasting warnings every day, and several times a day.

We could also use some good signs at the airport — to warn tourists about what might happen here. MVA needs to ramp up its educational efforts also, and create brochures that are in every hotel room and in the waiting areas.

Obviously, the police can’t be everywhere, but the more popular beaches need either a security guard, or a life guard, or someone to keep an eye on things.

This problem won’t be solved until there is a commitment by the hotels, the media, MVA and DPS to tackle this problem head-on, with strong words of warning to our visitors, and the patrol of the beaches and other tourist spots. Without these initiatives, visitors will continue to be robbed and the reputation of the CNMI will further deteriorate.

RUSS MASON

Akgak, Saipan

- See more at: mvariety.com/cnmi/…sthash.WkuEesFk.dpuf

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
293 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: saipan trip

i have been going to saipan for 20 years, never had a problem. guess some people have bad luck.

7. Re: saipan trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 11:15
Get answers to your questions about Saipan