We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madeline Island Sea Caves

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Madeline Island Sea Caves

Hello,

We are visiting Bayfield and Madeline Island next week, with our 7 and 10 year old children. I am wondering how far it is to the sea caves on Madeline Island by kayak? It seems most people rent from Apostle Island Kayaks and start at Big Bay State Park? We are novice kayakers and have decided that we aren't experienced enough to kayak to the mainland sea caves from Meyers Beach, and will hike instead, but my 10 year old still holds out hope of kayaking to a sea cave. I thought perhaps he would be able to do this (with a parent of course!) from Big Bay State Park on Madeline Island, but I haven't found any info on how accessible the caves are to novice kayakers. Or maybe we just kayak around the bay for our first trip, and take a tour of the sea caves by boat. We aren't big kayakers and while it sounds like a great experience, we'd be happy hiking and hanging on the beach too. Not looking for a guided day trip experience. Thank you!

1 reply
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madeline Island Sea Caves

bayfield.org/bayfield-activities/kayaking/

www.nps.gov/apis/planyourvisit/kayaking.htm

superiortrails.com/apostle-islandspark.html

…bayfield.org/list/category/kayaking-407

www.superiortrails.com/madeline-big-bay.html

some info. to research to help make your decision ;-)

Reply to: Madeline Island Sea Caves
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bayfield
More Bayfield Topics