We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apostle islands late August

Minnesota
Level Contributor
67 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
apostle islands late August

My husband and I are going to visit Apostle islands this August for 3 days, we'll drive from MN to there. Are any places worth stopping for? We like hiking, please recommend trails. Any suggestions with the plan are appreciated!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,665 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: apostle islands late August

you plan to kayak?

if not, you should.

we were in the area a few weeks ago, but didn't kayak as we have little kids. but i did kayak it back in aug, 2001 and it was awesome... from my experience, plus from what i saw a few weeks ago, there are outfitters that run the mainland sea caves, so no need to do a big crossing over to one of the islands... also, we took the ferry over to madeline island and spent a few hours at the beach....beautiful beach and the water was tolerable and crystal clear.... on the mainland, we spent the better part of a day at meyers beach, which is the put-in point for the sea kayaking, and the start point for the shoreline hiking trail, which goes along the cliffs/sea caves........

cornocopia is worth a stop along the way---active harbor with fishing boats... also, i think you can get smoked fish there... maritime museum and old fishing boats on display.... artesian well where you can fill up your water bottles for free....

here's a link to our trip, which includes a trip report, reviews and a slide show.... hope this helps!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28944-i371-k67050…

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: apostle islands late August

There are several waterfalls on the drive to/aroundBayfield: Siskiwit Falls by Cornucopia:

gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/maps/statewisc…

Houghton Falls south of Bayfield, Lost Creek Falls closer to Cornucopia:

ashlandbaydays.com/Website/AShlandWaterfalls…

http://www.bayfieldcounty.org/253 hiking trails. We like the Brownstone Trail along Lake Superior and below affordable scenic lodging at Seagull Bay Motel. www.seagullbay.com

Bayfield: Iron Bridge, trail below by the old apple shed.

Big Top for a show www.bigtop.org

Landmark Restaurant at the Old Rittenhouse Inn for a special treat (try breakfast or lunch), Egg Toss Café....

Madeline Island, Big Bay Town Park (free) is a big scenic highlight. Also there's Big Bay State Park and things to do around the island or stay on the main street and check things out.

There are plenty apostle island boat tours if you don't kayak.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 14:51
Minnesota
Level Contributor
67 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: apostle islands late August

Thank you both so much for the information. We visited north shore last year, did pretty much the same as strang. Your report reminded me of the good time we had over there. It seems to me more people travel to north shore than south shore based on the number of review.

Edited: 10 August 2013, 23:05
4. Re: apostle islands late August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 19:19
Get answers to your questions about Bayfield
More Bayfield Topics