We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in or near Harpers Ferry

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging in or near Harpers Ferry

I'm reading some scary stuff about the accommodations in Harpers Ferry! We tend to stick with the major chain hotels rather than B&Bs, so I'm wondering which city/town I should be looking at that's close to Harpers Ferry but might have more familiar accommodations available.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging in or near Harpers Ferry

What exactly are your interests/what do you want to do? Harpers Ferry, while historically significant, is a mere blip on the map. I couldn't imagine filling up 5 days with HF.

Also depending on what time of year you are going will also open up possibilities like tubing/rafting on the Shenandoah river.

As far as a place to stay, look at Leesburg Virginia. A very nice town with just about everything you would need and not a far drive from HF.

Charles Town
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging in or near Harpers Ferry

I live in Jefferson County. You can stay at the Comfort Inn in Harpers Ferry or the Cliffside Inn which has recently been purchased and redone.

You could also stay in Charles Town which is 10 minutes away if that.

Charles Town
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging in or near Harpers Ferry

I also agree Harpers Ferry itself is probably not a full day and then if you did tubing it would be another day.

You could also go to Antietam which is about 20 - 30 minutes away.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
163 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging in or near Harpers Ferry

There is a brand new Holiday Inn Express in Charles Town, only 10 minutes from Harper's Ferry. Would be a good base if you want to also explore Shepherdstown or Antietem/Sharpsburg area.

You might also want to check the Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown. It is not a large chain, but used to be very nice. Would also be a good central base.

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging in or near Harpers Ferry

Would you say Charles Town is a better base of operations than Shepherdstown, or doesn't it make much difference?

We would definitely be interested in visiting Antietam. We also want to try whitewater rafting and do some hiking but have no problem driving a ways to those locations.

Charles Town
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging in or near Harpers Ferry

Literally it is about 10 minutes from Harpers Ferry to Charles Town. Ten minutes from Harpers Ferry to Shepherdstown. Ten minutes from Charles Town to Shepherdstown. So it really isn't going to matter.

The Bavarian could use a remodel. I always feel the clientel is a little stuffy.

I have not been to the new Holiday Inn in Charles Town but it would be a central location. It is right around the corner from the race track.

If you looking for rafting check out River Riders.

http://www.riverriders.com/

Melissa

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging in or near Harpers Ferry

Thanks! The River Rafters site looks great! We've never done rafting before so this is perfect for us. And they also show a lot of other outdoors stuff in the area -- much easier to navigate than some of the tourist sites are. Thanks for pointing me to this!

Charles Town
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging in or near Harpers Ferry

There used to be a ghost tour in Harpers Ferry that is really good too.

Here is one link.

harpersferrywv.net/ghost_stories_of_harpers_…

It is really good. Very informational.

Sometimes tubing in the summer is better than the rafting. It can get really hot and dry here so the river levels can be low.

Just for information - Harpers Ferry doesn't have a lot of restaurants. There will be some in the park in the old buildings and one or two in Bolivar.

Charles Town has more chains and fast food.

Shepherdstown is the same way. There are a lot of small restaurants on German Street.

For reference too from Charles Town to Leesburg, VA or Winchester, VA or Frederick, MD is all about 30 minutes sometimes longer depending on traffic.

You can also go to Gettysburg too it is about an hour if that.

Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging in or near Harpers Ferry

Thanks! I am going to book our hotels ASAP -- not so much worried about this part of the trip but we're spending the balance at Rehoboth Beach so that will likely book fast.

How far in advance would you recommend booking the rafting? I am a big planner! Hate to be locked out of anything but also would like the flexibility of taking the conditions (wet vs. dry, as you mentioned) into consideration. We'll be arriving mid-week and will probably do the rafting on a weekday to avoid bigger crowds.

Joni

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging in or near Harpers Ferry

Read my review on Quality Inn, formerly Cliffside Inn, it shoudl help. I would recommend this hotel. I'm used to staying in major chain hotels as well.