We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Harpers Ferry

california
8 posts
Save Topic
Parking in Harpers Ferry

I'll be driving to Harpers Ferry from DC for the day for some sightseeing and a little shopping. The parking situation seems a little confusing to me. Do I drive directly into town or stop at the National Park and take the tram into town?

I'm interested in seeing the old historic part of town and may want to stay late for the Ghost Tour. Are there time limits on parking spaces? How late does the tram run?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Harpers Ferry

Park at the Park Service's visitor's center. As I recall, its well marked. Just hop the bus to old town.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Harpers Ferry

I think it depends on when or what day you visit. We have been there twice and we have used the Park Service lot and also were able to park right in town-maybe one block walk to main sights? We visited late in the day that time, but had dinner there, no problems with the parking.

Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Harpers Ferry

I was just wondering if you can take the shuttle back and forth for the same $6 per car? If we go into Lower Town for touring can we go back for picnic lunch and then return back on shuttle?

Thanks

HFC
Level Contributor
357 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Harpers Ferry

When are you coming? For future reference, October 9, 2010 is the 150th anniversary of Election Day 1860. HAFE's largest program of the year.

From DC you will probably be coming up I 270 through Frederick, MD and turn left and go westbound on Route 340 across the Potomac River TWICE.

After crossing into WV, go past Union Street, the Comfort Inn will be on your right ... follow the brown and white signs to the Cavalier Heights Visitors parking and then take the shuttle bus into town.

Parking in the lower town is iffy because a lot of the spaces are restricted for residents, shop owners, employees and shoppers. Parking in the train station lot will not amuse the riders on the MARC train, a lot work in Montgomery County, MD and DC.

For other questions, 304-535-6029

HFC
Level Contributor
357 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Harpers Ferry

Yes, I think your entrance fee is good for three consecutive calendar days of rides on the shuttle.

Just verify what I said ...

304-535-6029

6. Re: Parking in Harpers Ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 05:15