We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better Raft trip? Colorado near Moab, or trip near Page?

Cols
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Better Raft trip? Colorado near Moab, or trip near Page?

I would like to take the kids on a float trip during our vacation.

which would you say is better? Picking an outfitter near Moab and doing a Colorado 1/2 or full day trip OR doing one of the smooth water trips that push off from Glen Canyon Dam near page?

Any adive would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,280 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better Raft trip? Colorado near Moab, or trip near Page?

If you want white water you will have to go with Moab. Otherwise I would just go where the itinerary allows you the best time. Either one has great scenery.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Cols
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Better Raft trip? Colorado near Moab, or trip near Page?

Not sure Whitewater is super improtant. I was just curious which one was the better overall experience for 15, 11, 11, year olds.

Thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better Raft trip? Colorado near Moab, or trip near Page?

HI

Can't say what is the better overall experience. Depends on what you like, smooth water or whitewater. Page has a great smooth water rafts on Colorado River but less adventurous than the whitewater rafts. Also try Bluff, Utah for rafts on San Juan River.

As Kbecjeans has said. Scenery is breathtaking where ever you go.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,280 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better Raft trip? Colorado near Moab, or trip near Page?

I am just dying to do a river trip on the San Juan, I want the 7 day one where you check out the ruins and get all the way to Lake Powell....

Anyway, just so Buckgooner isn't confused there are smooth water trips from Moab as well. And again, I would go with the one that works best with the itinerary. Be sure to bring water toys/buckets for the water fights! Smooth water rafting is very relaxing (read can be boring for preteen and teenage boys).

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better Raft trip? Colorado near Moab, or trip near Page?

I would suggest Moab, if only for the hotels (more of them!) and after the trip activities than anything else.

I, too would love to float the San Juan -- if only I had the time and the $.

*Pixie*

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Cols
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Better Raft trip? Colorado near Moab, or trip near Page?

Oh... we are hitting both Moab and Page. So it wont be an either or on which to visit.

I was just curious which had the better rafting trip.

Thanks for your input.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Better Raft trip? Colorado near Moab, or trip near Page?

If water temps make any difference to you, you might want to think about rafting in Moab. The water below the dam comes from the very depths of Lake Powell, probably in the 40's at best. Water flowing by Moab will be in the low 60's during the summer months.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
73 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Better Raft trip? Colorado near Moab, or trip near Page?

I have a variation on Buckgooner's question -

I'll be traveling with similar age children (15, 14, 10) to the Grand Canyon (2 days); Bryce and Zion national parks (3 days combined).

I have 2 days in between. Should I take it easy and stop at Page for a 'float trip' or is the whitewater at Moab worth the extra 3+ hours of driving each way?

Mentioned in this post
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Better Raft trip? Colorado near Moab, or trip near Page?

This is a 2 years old thread Kelly so maybe put a new question on the forum. To answer your question. Page-Moab is much longer than a 3 hours drive not to mention the daytrip from Moab to Bryce. So I'd stick to www.raftthecanyon.com

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better Raft trip? Colorado near Moab, or trip near Page?

The Fisher Towers section of the Colorado River can't be beat for a family raft trip especially for young boys. The Rapids are fun, the water is warm so there's plenty of swimming. Due to the width of the river the trip can be customized for each boat involved. The larger parts of the rapids can either be hit or missed depending on the passengers desires. There is also the option to have the more adventurous members of the group do the trip in inflatable kayak along side the guided rafts.

In addition the scenery is spectacular. There is a reason that over 100 movies and commercials have been shot along the rafting section.

Mentioned in this post
Fisher Towers
Fisher Towers
86 Reviews
Utah
Get answers to your questions about Moab