We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day hikes to Big Spring/Elephant Canyon and Chesler Park?

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
337 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Day hikes to Big Spring/Elephant Canyon and Chesler Park?

It is possible to drive to the trailhead on the south side of Squaw Flat Campground and do the Big Spring/ elephant Canyon hike (10.9 miles) if we are not camping in the park? I am also interested in the Chesler Park loop (10.9 miles) that starts at the elephant hill picnic area. Can we drive in for the day for this hike as well? I know the times needed for the hikes but not for the drives! We will have a 4x4 vehicle.

Mentioned in this post
Squaw Flat Campground
Squaw Flat Campground
15 Reviews
Canyonlands National Park, UT
Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day hikes to Big Spring/Elephant Canyon and Chesler Park?

There is parking at both trailheads for dayhiking as well as backpacking into the Needles. No permits are needed for dayhikes. Bring plenty of water.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,298 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day hikes to Big Spring/Elephant Canyon and Chesler Park?

Where will you be driving from?

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
337 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day hikes to Big Spring/Elephant Canyon and Chesler Park?

I'm driving from Moab. Would you recommend one hike over the other?

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,298 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day hikes to Big Spring/Elephant Canyon and Chesler Park?

Start early. The drive from Moab will be about 2 hours one way. And with that long of a day hike you will want all the time you can get.

Druid Arch from Elephant Canyon is a must do. I'd probably suggest that one first, and hope you can hike faster than I could. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
337 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day hikes to Big Spring/Elephant Canyon and Chesler Park?

It says that Druid Arch takes 5-7 hours (11 miles). Is this the most scenic hike that you can recommend at needles? You said it was a "must see" so we will probably do that one instead. With those hikes being lengthy we will probably only hike here on one day. If you only had one day to spend at needles what would you do?

6. Re: Day hikes to Big Spring/Elephant Canyon and Chesler Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Moab