We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

if not bikers and great hikers

haarlem
Level Contributor
154 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
if not bikers and great hikers

I am planning a holiday and am a bit stuck as to distances and days.

If you aren't a great hiker or biker are 2 nights Moab sufficient or would you go for 3 and travel from Springdale(near Zion) to say Boulder and visit Bryce on the way, instead of staying the night near Bryce??

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: if not bikers and great hikers

If I am reading this right you have three nights to spend after Zions/springdale? And want to know where to spend it?

Yes, spend one night between Springdale and Moab. Say Boulder or Torrey, enjoy the great drive along hwy 12 and only two nights in Moab.

Bryce can be seen in a few hours if you aren't hiking. Don't bother going on the long scenic road, just visit it from the viewpoints around the amphitheater (sunset, sunrise, Inspiration, bryce, paria)

Then you would have plenty of time to see the sights along Hwy 12, take the detour to the Burr trail, visit the Anasazi State park in Boulder, and stay in Torrey.

The next day on the way to Moab visit Capitol Reef NP, and Goblin valley SP. Eat in Green River and then head on down to Moab for a two night stay. If you are just visiting from the car that would be plenty of time to get a good look at the sights in Arches and Canyonlands.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: if not bikers and great hikers

...and Dead Horse Point SP. Howzat Haro? Kbec, Haro is from Holland, Haarlem is a nice city west of Amsterdam. You must see it when you come to Holland, some time....

I'm off now for Portugal, say hello to hubby

Tet

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,828 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: if not bikers and great hikers

Tet, Portugal sounds so fun, enjoy. And yes, I'll definitely consider Haarlem when we make it to The Netherlands. :-)

haarlem
Level Contributor
154 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: if not bikers and great hikers

Thank you all and yes Tet goeie vakantie.

But the thing is that I skipped staying the night at DV. Travelling end september, I've learned it will be really Dead :-))

So now I am back to having 3 nights for Moab, after Springdale,Bryce and Torrey. But the only thing that puzzled me was that I read so much about all the really outdoor activities in Moab and thought since we wouldn't partake in all that it might be a bit too long.But I found nice B&B( Dreamkeepers I know reviews on TA about the new innkeepers are not positive, but the place seems nice) and it's also realaxing to hang about.

Would you agree?

J24
Northern California
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: if not bikers and great hikers

I wouldn't hesitate to stay 3 nights in Moab. If you really don't want to hike or bike, here are three suggestions -- Go river rafting one day, go horseback riding on day two and go on an offroad Hummer safari on day three. Splurge for dinner at the Desert Bistro one night.

If you can manage a little short hiking, consider hiking the Devils Garden trail in Arches NP. It's short and leads to some spectacular views.

If you are a little adventurous, rent a Jeep for a day or two and do a little offroad exploring on your own. It's not as difficult as it seems. I am a novice and yet was able to safely (and confidently) drive the Elephant Hill, Shafer, White Rim and Lathrop Canyon trails in a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon we rented from Farabees Jeep Rental. At $165/day it's a bargain adventure!

Enjoy!

haarlem
Level Contributor
154 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: if not bikers and great hikers

Thanks so much!!

Will stay 3 nights in Moab.

7. Re: if not bikers and great hikers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 20:20