We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab Area v's Glen Canyon

Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Moab Area v's Glen Canyon

My family (chidren 11, 9,8) will be visiting south west parks in October. We plan to drive from Bryce to Moab (2 nights) then down to Glen Canyon(Lake Powell) for 1 night then onto Grand Canyon. (This is just one section of our three week trip and we are locked into time frames due to bookings). However after researching Moab and the area surrounding, it sounds quite appealing and I would like to include a half or full day rafting trip on the Colarado as well as short hikes to the well known spots. I am starting to think that a extra night in Moab would be good, then skip Lake Powell and drive directly to Grand Canyon South Rim via east entrance. We are used to driving long distances (did 22000km aroung outback Austalia last year). Some advice from those who are famialr with the area would be most welcome. Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moab Area v's Glen Canyon

Depending on when in October, late in the month rafting may not be happening.

I would spend the extra day in Moab. See if you can squeeze another night out of your trip to spend time in Page AZ. You can also raft out of there.

Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moab Area v's Glen Canyon

We live in southern UT (Cedar City) so are familiar with the parks. We visit Bryce & Zion several times a year and Moab usually once, although I've just been there twice in the past month with out of state friends. We also houseboat on Lake Powell two weeks a year (Aug. & Oct.) being huge fans of that body of water. We're always amazed by this incredible state and never tire of it.

With that said; where will you be driving from to arrive at Bryce & how much time will you have? Zion is a short distance south of Bryce off Hwy 89 and well worth including in your itinerary, if you haven't already. It could easily be a 2 day stop, but even a day would allow for some nice hikes.

Zion and Bryce are each unique, different from one another & spectacular.

Back to your question re. Moab for 2 days vs. Lake Powell? You could spend a week in Moab between Arches, Canyonlands & Dead Horse Point so 2 days wouldn't be too much.

Dead Horse Point need not take much time as it's primarily viewing from the rim, 2,000 ft. down into the goosenecks of the river.....but not to be missed. Arches is incredible, even driving through, with Delicate Arch, Landscape & Balanced Rock probably being the most popular stops, but an entire day there would be easy with a variety of good hikes.

There are many outfitters in Moab that offer 1/2 & full day trips that can be a combination of 1/2 day jeeping on the slickrock & 1/2 day river rafting or either of those. They're about $129 a person which seemed reasonable as they're guided. There might be a family or child rate.

I love to see everyone, who comes to this area, experience Powell, but to truly appreciate it requires getting out onto the water....in my humble opinion as a boat person. It's a huge lake so for one day only, to see a part of it, the options are either a powerboat rental or the Rainbow Bridge tour (which is wonderful). The tour is a 50 mile one way boat ride to Rainbow Bridge (largest natural span in the world) an hour there for the short hike to the arch & return. It's 5 hours total & provides a wonderful view of the lake while leaving the navigating to someone else. The price is $130 adults & $70 for kids.

I don't believe that you can go wrong, regardless of which you choose as it's all spectacular, but depends primarily on which activities you think your family will enjoy the most; river rafting, hiking, jeeping, lake, or a bit of each.

You'll enjoy it all & Oct. is a great time to beat the heat & crowds.

Randi

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,871 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moab Area v's Glen Canyon

The upshot is that you really can't go wrong, except by trying to do too much and not enjoying what you do. You can do a river trip at both locations. One big thing you'd be losing by skipping Lake Powell/Page area would be the opportunity to visit Antelope Canyon...

I hate to confuse the matter but I'm also wondering if you will be skipping the entire middle part of the state on your drive from Bryce to Moab? There are 5 state parks, the Grand Staircase Natl Mon and Capitol Reef Natl Park that you'd be driving past if you go on hwy 12.

So in a round about way I'm leaning to staying your extra night at Moab and get a more in depth visit while you're there.

4. Re: Moab Area v's Glen Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2010, 07:34
Get answers to your questions about Moab