We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is Jeep week in Moab?

ontario ny
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How bad is Jeep week in Moab?

I have been debating this for a while. We are going to be on a 10 day LV-- Moab--GC-- LV trip in late March early April and I was wondering if it would be better (easier lodging, less people, easier getting around parks) the 27th -29th of March or April 3-5? Have reservations for GC but not flight yet and I have to decide.

Thanks for any info

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad is Jeep week in Moab?

Since it is only a couple months away one way you could tell how bad it will be is to call for a hotel room and see what you get. I haven't been there during jeep safari for years. What we have heard is that during the day everyone is out on the jeep trails and the parks are usually just fine. But then everyone comes back to Moab for evening and restaurants are packed.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad is Jeep week in Moab?

Moab's annual Easter Jeep Safari can get a little crazy! The streets are usually packed with jeepers as well as the restaraunts. It is a lot of fun though. Depending on what you are going to Moab for will determine if they will be interfering with what you are wanting to do! I think everyone and one point in thier life should see the Easter Jeep Safari. Even people who are not into four-wheeling.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,911 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad is Jeep week in Moab?

This is an older post and I suspect you've made your plans. But I would be surprised if you could get a room on Easter Weekend. We've been down several times for Jeep Safari and it's a super event. The weekend before, though, is actually a great time as there's a decent influx of Jeeps, you can go out and watch them do crazy things, but town's not overrun.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad is Jeep week in Moab?

Nice to have you back Tumbleweed. Hope your olympic experience was good.

USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad is Jeep week in Moab?

It's the only "big event" locals truly despise.

They DO tour the parks, now.

Every road is grid-locked, except when they are on the trails.

The sky turns red with kicked up sand.

The air reeks of various fluids and exhaust.

They DO NOT clean up their spills.

They litter on all trails, and it takes local volunteers to clean it up.

The motels are usually booked far prior to the event.

MOST of them have illegal rigs, but the local law still pulls over just locals.....ya know....visitors bring the ching.

The answer: Extremely BAD.

Most people come here to escape society, and cities. This IS worse than a city during Jeep Safari.

All other "big events" are enjoyable, with enjoyable visitors.

Avoid Moab like the Black Plague during Jeep Safari.....unless you're a rut nut.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
293 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad is Jeep week in Moab?

We made the mistake of planning a family camping trip around Moab one year during the Jeep thing. I hesitate to over-generalize but the people we encountered were pretty obnoxious. We were looking at some rock art and dinosaur footprints along the road to Dead Horse and there were a few groups from the safari in the same area. They were loud, drunk (in the morning), and thought nothing of shouting profanities near my small children.

There are too many other fantastic places to see in Utah. Stay away from Moab around Easter this year and try it some other time.

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,911 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad is Jeep week in Moab?

Kbecjeans, thanks for the note. As you probably saw, we had a pretty successful time up in Vancouver and Whistler. It's taken 10 days to get out of the comatose state I flew back in last Monday.

This has been an interesting thread. I must say, I'm really looking forward to getting down to Moab during Jeep Safari week. We ended up down there last year to pickup our Jeep which we busted the week before. I was amazed at how pleasant it was during the daytime. I found everything to be incredibly orderly. We took a drive out to one of the hill climbs by the dump then toured Arches for a few hikes with the kids. Didn't have any problems at all.

It's funny, but I get the same sense from some people here in Park City with Sundance. You can decide to not like it, but at some point it helps to recognize what puts money into the local economy. Jeep Safari drops a ton of bucks into that community.

If you're not interested in what's going on during Jeep Safari, just don't go or go to Green River or Torrey instead. But we tend to embrace things like that and enjoy them for what they're worth.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Sundance
Sundance
Wasatch Range, UT
Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How bad is Jeep week in Moab?

I'm not speaking for anyone else but myself, but I try to avoid Moab during Jeep Easter (and the weekends immediately before and after) for two reasons:

1. I don't want to get in their way,

and

2. I don't want them in MY way! :o)

Same with Sundance; I can have more fun the weekend AFTER the festival! (Park City was a LOT more fun before it was famous!)

*Pixie*

Mentioned in this post
Sundance
Sundance
Wasatch Range, UT
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How bad is Jeep week in Moab?

As I have mentioned before we have family who books their lodging a year in advance and go every year with their jeeps to try out all the trails. We drove in one day after it was over a year or so ago and the clerks in the stores seemed to be a little dazed and glassy-eyed. :-)

ontario ny
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How bad is Jeep week in Moab?

Thank you everybody for your advice and opinions, Kbec sorry I didn't thank you earlier.

We ended up booking 2 nights ( 28-29) in a cabin at riverside oasis cg north of Moab which I thought would be better so we didn't have to drive through Moab to go to Arches or canyonlands. I have heard some good and some bad about this place.

DMJ and Utahmeth hopefully you don't hold the 90% of the good people responsible for the 10% who are idiots. Some people just don't respect other people and we don't have to accept it but in these settings it's hard to change peoples behavior.

That being said I am sort of looking forward to throwing back a few around a campfire and telling and hearing some stories of the days adventures. We have a rented full size SUV and I was hoping to maybe do some minor off roading. In the Utah gazateer I was looking at kane springs rd. as a possible side trip, any thoughts.

Tumbleweed, where and when is the "hill climb by the dump" , that sounds interesting, also I am jealous about your trip to the olympics because I look forward to the winter O every 4 years. It's my favorite event to watch. Hopefully it will be in LP again in my lifetime.

I am open to any recommendations or thoughts,even over by grand staircase--escalante because most of the dirt roads are still snowed in and we will have to adjust our hopes and plans.

We just changed the first part of our trip because there is so much snow around Bryce that we are going to go snowmobiling out of duck creek and go up to cedar breaks which wouldn't be possible without all the snow.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States