We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab / Utah Winter Trip Advice Needed.

MO
4 posts
Save Topic
Moab / Utah Winter Trip Advice Needed.

Hi, My g/f and I will be coming from Kansas City thru CO, and into UTAH for a vacation from 12/27/05 to 12/30/05.

We'll be in a '05 Grand Cherokee (4x4) and looking for the best scenic routes (#12 is already on the list) and any off-road trails that are able to be done that time of year.

I've picked up the Arizona, Colorado and Utah "Guides to Backcountry & 4-wheel Drive Trails" along with the Colorado and Utah Delorme "Atlas & Gazetteers".

Any help with trails that can be done that time of year, along with Scenic routes around the area would be appreciated.

We'd like to sneek down to the Grand Canyon to do the Toroweep (Tuweep) run, but are afraid it will be snowed in.

Also, Is winter in Moab a "off season?" I ask because last year we did a Badland, Mt Rushmore, Pikes Peak loop and all the motels were like $35-$40 a night since it was off-season. That was a nice surprise.

Thanks a bunch.

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moab / Utah Winter Trip Advice Needed.

Winter is the off season in Moab and you can expect just about anything in the way of temperatures. The area immediatedly around Moab usually doesn't see snow unless you head to the high country. I would take the road into the Needles Section of Canyonlands National Park. It is one of the best trips around. ONce you get to Squaw Flat Campground, it is four-wheel drive only but lots of great trips. Also plan to visit the Island in the Sky District of Canyonlands. More blacktop roads but nice scenery also. Visit Arches National Park. It will not be very busy, but if you take warm clothes, you can do most of the hikes. My first stop in Moab would be the Moab Information Center, located on Main Street in downtown Moab. It has plenty of books, maps and plenty of free information. I can help further if you'd like.

Layne Miller

Price, Utah

MO
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moab / Utah Winter Trip Advice Needed.

Thanks for the info. We're definitely going to hit all the scenic roads around the Moab area.

I'm having a little trouble with different books / maps/ online sites, calling the same trails / routes by different names, but so far I've figured them all out and got quite a lot of driving planned. Should be a good trip. Just wish it wasn't winter so we could hit some of the scenic drives / trails on our way through Colorado.