We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Another Delicate Arch sunset question

According to http://www.timeanddate.com sunset is around 8.40 on the 20th May next year? Is this accurate?

We are driving from SLC and won't arrive in Moab until 6.30ish. Is it possible/realistic if we drive straight to Arches to do this hike. The only other alternative is very early the next morning before driving to Colorado.

From other posts I believe it takes 20 minutes to drive to the trail head, and approximately 45mins to get to the Arch.

I realise some people will think I am insane (and my hubby will agree with you) but it is one or the other. I know sunset is considered the better time.

Thanks

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Delicate Arch sunset question

sunrisesunset.com says 8:26pm so either one can't be far out.

Provided you get to Moab, or near Moab, by 6:30pm and head straight to Arches rather than your lodgings you'll be fine. There's still some leeway in there at that. I'd say expect a bit more than 20 minutes from the park entry to the trailhead, maybe 30 minutes particularly by the time you park the car and use that last restroom opportunity. 45 minutes is comfortable to walk to the arch if you're in reasonable shape.

Not that sunrise is a bad time to be at Delicate Arch but you've got enough on your plate with that drive to Colorado.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,899 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Delicate Arch sunset question

As Noel-Donna noted, you should give it a try but do it before going to Moab. I generally allow 20-30 minutes to the trailhead and 45 for the hike. NOAA has sunset at 8:28 p.m. at the arch that night. It's definitely a better experience for sunset - sunrise gives you primarily backlight on the arch.

For a sunrise experience, try the easy access to North/South Windows and Turret Arch or the longer drive (hour) to Dead Horse Point.

I think the key question, though, is why you're only spending a single night and leaving in the morning?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Delicate Arch sunset question

Been to Arches, Canyonlands, and Dead Horse point last April. Hubby wouldn't agree to do the Delicate Arch hike. I did Angels Landing when we hit Zion on my own. So he has agreed I can do Delicate either with or without him. Maybe my last chance and since we were so near, I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity twice.

j

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,899 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Delicate Arch sunset question

Well, his loss, I guess. We've taken so many people up there - including a number of folks for whom it was their first hike. Every single one of them has been in absolute awe of the experience.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Delicate Arch sunset question

Really too bad he didn't want to make the hike. Maybe you can talk him into it this time. Very worth the effort any time you get there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Delicate Arch sunset question

I couldn't even get hubby to do the Park Avenue hike last year. He drove the car to the other end and I started out on my own but met up with some folks from California. Learnt more about your schooling system (so very different from ours) and they took some photos of me on the trail.

The closest I got to Delicate Arch was from the Delicate Arch Viewpoint. I hiked so far he was ready to send out a search party. I just kept following the Cairns until I could get the beast view possible. It will be awesome to be at the actual Arch. Thanks for the encouragement. I can't wait and it is still months away.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer and so promptly. Our holiday is taking on great shape. I couldn't do it without tripadvisor. I'd be stuck on some bus tour missing all the best bits.

Julie

MA
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Delicate Arch sunset question

Also, realize the best lighting isnt exactly at sunset. Plan to get there a good half hour before the official sunset time to see it best

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Delicate Arch sunset question

We will do our best given the time constraints. Thanks for the tip.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Delicate Arch sunset question

Just a thought... Have hubby drop you off at the Delicate Arch trailhead and then drive over to the Fiery Furnace trail head to park and watch the sunset. At some point, you just have to accept that he won't hike, but he doesn't need to miss the beautiful sunset and at Fiery Furnace he'll have a good view of the horizon. Then he can drive back over to the Wolfe Ranch and maybe explore the cabin a bit while waiting for you to come back down - or hang out in the car listening to music or a book on CD. To each his own. It's probably more important that each of you do what you want to do than to be annoyed.. or annoying. And you can't pick a better place on earth to park the car and relax.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Delicate Arch sunset question

Great idea UtahRoots. If he decides he is too tired after driving from SLC, sunset at Fiery Furnace sounds like a great option.