We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafting & Hummer Tour

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
150 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Rafting & Hummer Tour

We will be in Moab for 2 1/2 days in June. We are planning to do a couple of hikes (maybe Fiery Furnace and Delicate Arch) and a half day rafting/Hummer combo. Since it will be hot in June what would be a good daily schedule for 2 full days and a morning in Moab? What are the general times for the ranger-led Fiery Furnace tour? I plan on buying the tour tickets online when they become available. I will be traveling with my husband and 2 kids, ages 11 & 14. What are the rafting conditions like in June?

Thanks,

RambingRose

Moab Tourism Center
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Redrock Express
Taxis & Shuttles, Scenic Drives, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,682 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rafting & Hummer Tour

Hey, Rose, you are all over the UT forums it seems!

It will be warm, OK, hot in June in Moab. The average high temperature is in the low 90s F. But, the humidity will be low, so it will be a lot more comfortable than the 90s in the east and southeast US with the high humidity. If you are worried about the heat, plan you major activities for early and late in the day, then siesta during the heat of the day (or play in the pool, if your hotel has one).

For the Fiery Furnace, there is usually a morning and afternoon guided hike, but I am not sure of the exact starting times (could not find that detail on the NPS website; probably varies over the course of the year). Good idea to get your reservations early as the FF hike fills up quickly. When we went last year, the Ranger leading the hike said that the FF can be a good afternoon activitiy as it if generally cooler due to all the shade provided along the trail as it winds through the fins and other formations.

Sorry, I'm no help on the rafting or hummer tours.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
456 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rafting & Hummer Tour

June is prime time for rafting. The Fisher Towers section of the Colorado River is perfect for families with kids. Fun and scenic a great way to spend a hot day.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,997 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rafting & Hummer Tour

One day you should spend in Arches. Go as soon as it is light to take advantage of the cooler temps for hikes to the Park Ave or the Windows section. Bring a lunch and eat at Devil's Garden. Take the Fiery Furnace trail in the afternoon and then Delicate arch in the cool of the evening.

One day take your rafting/hummer combo and have fun.

Your last morning spend at Canyonlands. A half day is good for a quick visit to Island in the sky. Take the Mesa Arch trail, and Grandview point. Check out Aztec Buttes or Green River overlook. Then drive over to Dead Horse Point for one last look at the wild canyon country.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rafting & Hummer Tour

I'd say hike early and be in the water as much as possible in the hottest part of the day. June is very good for rafting - lots of water and hot air temps. Kbec gave you good advice on parks and hikes. Personally, I'd rather do Delicate Arch in the morning than in the evening but that's just my opinion. Lots of people like to do the evening hike to take advantage of seeing the sunset. I'm just a wus when it comes to heat and I'll do just about anything to avoid it. If it were me, I'd be heading out on a trail when the sun came up and floating in the river no later than noon.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rafting & Hummer Tour

I recommend Moab Adventures Sunset Hummer Tour - your kids will love it! It was one of the highlights of our adventure out west.

We also did a boat ride up the Colorado through them also that was very relaxing.

Enjoy making your family memories.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
150 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rafting & Hummer Tour

Thanks for all your help. Does anyone have any feedback about doing a full day rafting trip rather than a 1/2 day trip? Looks like all the outfitters offer both.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
456 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rafting & Hummer Tour

I would and do recommend the full day trips. A rafting trip is a lot like a day at the beach. pool or water park. Seldom do you go for half a day and rarely do the kids want to leave. In addition June is the height of the run off and because of the speed of the river trips simply are over early. There is only so much you can do to slow down on a river that is moving 3x faster than it will be in August. We regularly return to Moab by 2:30 from a full day including a stop for lunch.

This gives you plenty of time to do something additional the day of your river trip.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
150 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rafting & Hummer Tour

Kbec, you have Delicate Arch Trail and Fiery Furnace on the same day. Is that too much hiking for one day? Since we have 3 full days in Moab I'm wondering how best to schedule the days and if I should break-up some of the hiking.

RamblingRose

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,997 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rafting & Hummer Tour

<<you have Delicate Arch Trail and Fiery Furnace on the same day. Is that too much hiking for one day?>>

In my prime I wouldn't think so, pretty sure I've done it several times, though they are all a little foggy in my brain. I guess it depends on your fitness level. Even now I'm sure I could do it.

You also should consider the driving in and out of the park.

You will get a slightly different perspective going to the park more than one day.

utah
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rafting & Hummer Tour

With kids that age I wouldn't worry about doing fiery furnace & delicate arch on the same day - if you like hiking. There is lots more to do to fill the other days and the drive into and out of Arches takes a while so consolidating the hikes makes sense.

You are only talking about 5 miles of total hiking. The fiery furnace is only 2 miles, mostly flat, and at a very slow pace because the ranger stops and talks to you a ton - most of the hike is in the shade. Delicate Arch is moderately strenuous with part of it being somewhat steep but is only 3 miles round trip.

You could easily spend a full 2nd day in Arches hiking devil's garden and other stuff - at a minimum do the first part of the devil's garden hike and see landscape arch.

Check out the sand "hill" just across the freeway from the entrance to Arches - just watch for the spot with a bunch of cars parked and people playing in the sand. My 9 & 11 year old boys considered that the highlight of the trip when we were in Moab for a couple days last fall. (Only because it was too late in the year and too cold to chase lizards which is what they usually spend most of their time doing in Moab.)