We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Denver to Moab area

Southern New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Denver to Moab area

Hi,

we will be on a 3 week adventure from the east coast starting in the middle of April, I was wondering what the road conditions and temperatures are likely to be in Denver and on the way to Moab. as well is there any attractions to stop at either historic or scenic tourism. I would like to break up the trip during the day. We are in our 50s and will be traveling with my in-laws that are quite mobile and in their 70s

Thanks

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,792 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Denver to Moab area

It's a four lane freeway (I-70) from Denver to Moab. In April you have a chance of snow through Colorado, just keep an eye on that. You will go over two mountain passes on I-70. Just curious, if Moab is your destination were you aware that Salt Lake City is 150 miles closer? Colorado will give you some nice scenery, but a longer drive.

Along the way:

- Idaho Springs is a nice old mining town for a lunch stop

- There's a scenic train ride in Georgetown

- Skip the Eisenhower Tunnel and drive up and over Loveland Pass for scenery if weather is nice (very high elevation)

- Outlet malls in Silverthorne (if you're into that)

- Vail Village is nice

- Hot springs in Glenwood Springs

- Get off I-70 at the Cisco exit and take the scenic route in to Moab along the Colorado River

Temps along the route can be anywhere from 20s to 50s. In Moab expect highs in 60s, maybe 70s, with lows at night in 40s, maybe 30s. It's one of the best months of the year to be there.

Have fun.

Southern New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Denver to Moab area

Thank you for the info it is helpfull. Being originally from upstate New York and now from New Hampshire I am used to driving in the snow if need be, or knowing when not to. The reason for going by way of Denver is I am driving from New Hampshire, by way of Chicago, by way of North Platte, NE. Stopping along the way to visit family. I will stop and visit ( sponge off them for a change ) ;-) hey it is a free meal and a place to stay over night. LOL.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Denver to Moab area

have you made your lodging reservations for Moab in mid-April?

If not, you may want to get on that as there are a couple of Special Events going on in Moab mid-end of April where town is 100% full.

Roads- should be fine unless you get a freak storm. But keep an eye on the weather forecast or check out the webcams along the I-70 using this website.

http://www.cotrip.org/device.htm

Matt

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Denver to Moab area

Right off of I-70 about 1 hour out of Moab is Green River, Utah. Green River is home to the John Wesley Powell River History Museum and is considered one of the key places in the rafting community. I would recommend checking out www.utahcanyonlands.com for more information about the area. The site has a great map showing all of the attractions around Green River. It might be worth spending a couple days there or even taking a river trip before heading to Moab.

There is a great website about the Moab area at www.moabdiscovery.com. It is very easy to use. One other great place between Denver and Moab is Glenwood Hot Spring. It is definitely worth spending a day at and enjoying the natural hot springs.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,564 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Denver to Moab area

The Colorado Railroad Museum will be not far off your route as you leave the Denver area--in Golden--and is very interesting.

http://www.coloradorailroadmuseum.org/museum

Idaho Springs has a walking tour and you can take a historic mine tour there.

http://www.historicidahosprings.com/

historicidahosprings.com/attractions/tours.p…

The Georgetown Loop Scenic Railroad was mentioned but I'm not sure when their spring/summer schedule starts...I think not till May but you could contact them to make sure if interested.

The Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs is an interesting, historic stop, having hosted many famous and infamous visitors...and it's said it is the birthplace of the Teddy Bear. http://hotelcolorado.com/history.html

Colorado National Monument is in Grand Junction/Fruita, and there are wineries in Palisade.

Edited: 16 January 2011, 05:16
Belleville, IL
Level Contributor
305 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Denver to Moab area

Colorado National Monument is another place to stop in Grand Junction. Grand Junction is about the last point of civilization before you reach Moab, so a good place to stop for gas, food, etc.

I agree about getting of at the Cisco exit and taking the scenic route to Moab. It feels very remote, but so beautiful. The whole drive from Denver to Moab is very scenic. The most beautiful interstate I've ever been on!

Southern New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Denver to Moab area

Thank You all for the great information, It looks as if we can make a few interesting stops along the way. We wil probably take the route through Cisco, as we prefer the scenic routes.

Thanks again !

8. Re: Travel from Denver to Moab area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2012, 05:27