We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day to fill in /out of Moab

michigan
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One day to fill in /out of Moab

Going on the 4 day Southwest Sampler through Western River Expeditions (hummer, arches ntl park, 2 day rafting) July 19-24

Not leaving until 1 1/2 days after trip ends, so I'm looking for something to do with myself (40) and the kids (15,13) for a day trip

We are all active and in decent shape and will have a rental car.

Dead horse point? etc Let me know what your opinions are on how to spend our last full day in Moab.

utah
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day to fill in /out of Moab

Here's a couple of ideas:

Try out mountain biking. I can give you more info on where to ride if you are interested.

I looked at the southwest sampler itinerary on their website and it only looks like you are spending 1/2 day in Arches - including an hour to drive into Arches and an hour back out - you could/should spend more time than that in Arches:

1) Hike the full Devil's Garden loop including the primitive trail back - about a 6 mile hike if you hit all the side paths and very fun.

2) I'm guessing you may hike Delicate Arch as part of your tour. Check with your tour company - if they don't include the Delicate Arch hike don't miss it.

3) The Fiery Furnace hike is also fantastic (it's a couple miles and ranger guided) - you would need to check on the Arches website now to see if you can still reserve a spot.

Ask your tour guides what they recommend.

Dead horse point is a good idea too.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day to fill in /out of Moab

Great suggestions from bc1_8. Since your tour only has a limited time at Arches, I would spend at least some of your extra time at Arches. As bc mentioned, Delicate Arch and Fiery Furnace should be at the top of the list for memorable hikes.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day to fill in /out of Moab

There's an excellent visitor center in Moab staying open 'til 9:00 PM each night. They will be plenty helpful to you. Here's their website:

www.discovermoab.com

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,915 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day to fill in /out of Moab

If they cover Arches well enough for you then other places to visit would be:

-Canyonlands Island in the sky- plan 1/2 day for this

-Dead Horse Point State Park- only need a couple hours and should be combined with Island in the sky

-Corona Arch- a great hike starting on the potash road - a couple hours

- Canyoneering? to Morning glory arch www.moabdesertadventures.com/canyoneering.htm

- dinosaurs footprints www.utah.com/playgrounds/mill_canyon.htm

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day to fill in /out of Moab

Go play in Canyonlands. Start with the Potash road and see where it leads you... :)

*Pixie*

Edited: 10 March 2011, 17:55
michigan
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: One day to fill in /out of Moab

I just booked Fiery Furnace 9 am hike on Saturday...So if we go back to hotel after to nap/refresh-- what do you recommend for the second half of the day?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day to fill in /out of Moab

As mentioned previously, if the hike to Delicate Arch is not already on the tour, then I would do that for a sunset event. Otherwise, pick any area of Arches that you have not already visited and check it out.

8. Re: One day to fill in /out of Moab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 11:18