We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary question

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary question

We are planning a trip to Moab, primarily to spend the day at Arches NP, then heading east on I-70 into Colorado. Trying to decide whether to stay a second night in Moab or to start east. It looks like the closest motels wouldn't be till Fruita, CO and there are no food options till then either. Is this correct?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,790 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary question

Fruita would be the next place for food and rest. But you can get there in less than 2 hours from Moab, even by taking the slightly slower but more scenic route up 128 through Cisco to I-70.

The advantage of staying longer at Moab would be to allow time for Dead Horse Point SP and Canyonlands NP. You could do those on a second day and still make Fruita by night.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary question

Also don't miss Colorado NM. A hidden gem...

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary question

I think that if you plan on spending a second night in Moab you'll be glad you did. As mentioned Canyonlands and Deadhorse are worthy of a stop so are the dozens of other activities that are available in Moab.

Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary question

So where is Colorado NM? Couldn't find it on my map....

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary question

Colorado NM is just west of Grand Junction off I70

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary question

Colorado National Monument, some great views here...

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary question

We have been to Islands in the Sky before and plan on stopping at the Needles portion of Canyonlands on our way to Moab. Our thinking is that it makes sense to start on our way to Estes Park rather than return to Moab. Our concern is how mountainous and curvy the drive to Fruita would be, although at that time of year we should be traveling before dusk.

Edited: 29 March 2011, 15:56
8. Re: Itinerary question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 18:17