We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas and Moab

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beirut, Lebanon
12 posts
Save Topic
Las Vegas and Moab

I am having business trip to Las Vegas in early May 2011 and planning a three days adventurous Jeeping in Moab rocks between 4th and 8th may.

I am coming from outside the US and Mac Carren, Vegas Int airport is the preffered destination to start with.

Question:

What is the prefered travel to Moab?

Option 1- Rent a car and drive to Moab?

- Concerns are (7-8) hours drive

- rental charges throughout the period of stay in Moab while I will have to rent a Jeep when there for off roading.

- Car will be used to travel back to Las Vegas and used during my stay in Vegas.

Option 2- posible flights to Moab or nearby airports that have connection with Mac Carren Airport in vegas.

- Concerns are: transportation from and to the airport nearby Moab

Your guidance and advice is highly appreciated..

Thanks in advance

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas and Moab

You're about a week early for the new Great Lakes Airlines LV to Moab direct flights. Try Allegiant to Grand Junction then a shuttle to Moab; not a great and somewhat limited option.

A rental there and back is probably the most flexible option. A long drive, basically all interstate, but you're in control and can be fun in the right frame of mind.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,160 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas and Moab

Rental car is the most practical and cost-efficient option. Farrabee's is a good place to rent a Jeep for the day or two you'll get off-roading.

While, as noted, Great Lakes isn't yet running LAS-CNY, you would have the option of flying LAS-DEN-CNY. In the end, though, it would only save you a few hours each way and probably cost around $600. It's a really simple seven hour drive.

Have fun. Great time of year to be there.

Beirut, Lebanon
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas and Moab

Thank you guys for the advise. I have no issues in long drives and have done LV to San Diego drive few years back and enjoyed it.

I am already in touch with Farrabees/outlaw Jeep tours for a three day extreme off-roading... Any recommendations on specific trails other than the famous Hell's revenge and Poison Spider Mesa. Keeping in mind am a Jeeper to the teeth and do extreme offroading on sand dunes every weekend for the last 12 years. ;).

I was about to register with Arch Canyon Jeep Jamboree but due to the fact of minimum two passengers per vehicles i.e. I have to pay 600$ for registration ....Additionally I thought it might be relatively easy tracks so I decided to skip it. (Any thoughts if I took the right decision ????)

Furthermore, I appreciate if you recommend a reasonably cost effective place to stay in. All I care for is Clean place with WIFI facility and prefered if they offer breakfast,

Thanks again for your help.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,160 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas and Moab

I don't see that you need to drop the big bucks on the Jamboree. You'll have plenty of fun on your own. Hell's Revenge and Poison Spider will both be challenging. I trust in addition to sand dunes you've done rock. Do make sure that you can get a Rubicon with lockers.

Another fun playground trail is Fins and Things, just above Moab near the Slickrock bike trail. It's essentially an adventure playground with a ton of features - like a terrain park at a ski area. You could spend hours in there just playing around and busting equipment. Lots of standalone rocks to climb, rock ridges, some sand, etc. The beauty of it is you can be there in five minutes from town and it's all a self-contained loop. Good warmup before heading out for a full day on the trails, or for an evening ride.

We like the River Canyon Lodge in town - cheap, clean, convenient. Our Moab hotel philosophy is you are only there to sleep. We like to be in town and walking distance to restaurants. No breakfast at River Canyon but you're just two minutes away from the Jail House. The Bowen next door is also nice.

Have fun.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas and Moab

Even tho the drive from Las Vegas to Moab is about 8 hours, the scenery along I-70 is STUNNING! It's my favorite section of interstate to drive. Going thru the San Rafael Swell is amazing. Unfortunately tho, except for the Virgin River Gorge, the drive along the I-15 is pretty boring. I think renting a car and driving to Moab is still your best bet.

Beirut, Lebanon
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas and Moab

Thank you all for the valuable information.

I have firmed my plan, for car hire and drive from Vegas to Moab and back to Vegas, also booked a room in Days Inn (I know feedback is not that great, but all I need is a clean place to shower and sleep) and I am trying to get hold of Jim from Outlaw Jeeps/Farabees for a full three days of Jeeping. It seems everybody is busy during the easter week.....

I am thinking to rent a Jeep only and do trails on my own... or should I stick to guided tours being my first visit to Moab??? Any thoughts?

7. Re: Las Vegas and Moab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 09:17