We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slot Canyons

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Slot Canyons

Hi there,

Any idea how I can obtain a reputable guide for some hiking into the canyons.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,591 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Slot Canyons

There are no "slot" canyons of note in the immediate Moab area, although there are several substitutes. One I recommend is a trip known by most outfitters as Ephedra's Grotto. It's an awesome canyoneering experience. You start up on the slickrock area of Fins and Things near the Slickrock Bike Trail, do a short hike, then drop down into a grotto on about an 80-90 foot rappel. Then a little hike and a drop off a 125-foot cliff behind Morning Glory Arch. Then a couple miles walk out along a creek in Negro Bill Canyon. Cliffs and Canyons is a good outfitter. Will cost about $100 for a half-day. Here's some pix:

www.flickr.com/search/…

Slot canyons are more common in the San Rafael, Robbers Roost area southwest of Green River, about 90 minutes from Moab. A good one for beginners is Little Wild Horse Canyon near Goblin Valley. No guide is necessary. You're into the first slot within 15-20 minutes of hiking. Allow 3-4 hours and you will get an amazing experience. Use caution and watch weather. No gear is necessary.

Have fun.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slot Canyons

Thank you for your quick response any ideas for canyonlands?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slot Canyons

any recommendation on a company that I should use

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,591 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slot Canyons

You could check with Cliffs and Canyons about what they offer. But there really aren't any slot canyons of note in either Island in the Sky (nearest Moab) or Needles (south of Moab). There are tons of slot canyons on the other side of the river, but given the great distance it's not as practical for the Moab companies. Check with them, though, and I'm sure they could arrange it. Just keep in mind that you'll be two hours + each way travel time from Moab.'

Here's a link to their offerings. The stuff around Moab is OK, but not as good as what's further west. I don't know the Sinbad trip itself, but do know that area. There are dozens and dozens of great slots over there.

www.cliffsandcanyons.com/canyoneering.html

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slot Canyons

There are a couple of great tour companies out of Torrey, UT that can take you anywhere from the Maze to Moab: Hondoo Tours (435) 425-3519 and Capitol Reef Backcountry Outfitters (866) 747-3972.

*Pixie*

Branford, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slot Canyons

We used a guided group Hondoo River and Trails for our horse trip. They also do vehicle and other types of guided trip`s. Been in the business for awhile .

Will use them again without question. Great trip and took care of you. Check out their web site for more info at http://www.hondoo.com/ .

7. Re: Slot Canyons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2012, 05:15