We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper Colorado River Scenic Byway (U-128) - Help Please

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Upper Colorado River Scenic Byway (U-128) - Help Please

I would like to take some scenic drives out of the Moab area. The visitor's website suggests the Upper Colorado River Scenic Byway (Moab to Dewey to I-70) . Here's the link describing the route: http://www.discovermoab.com/byways.htm

Here are some questions: would you recommend making this a circle trip by getting on to I-70 and then returning back to Moab OR would you recommend just retracing back to Moab? Are there any parts of this road that are just downright scary? (meaning, drastic cliffs with no guardrails and only one lane - don't laugh...I'm just asking!)

Any other suggestions?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper Colorado River Scenic Byway (U-128) - Help Please

I would do this as an out-and-back rather and a loop. The views will be different going in either direction. Plus the lighting will change as the day progresses, so you will get new looks that way as well.

As I recall, the road is a little winding, but otherwise no isses with big drop-offs.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper Colorado River Scenic Byway (U-128) - Help Please

I would say only go as far as the Dewey Bridge after that the scenery is not so spectacular to I-70. Turn around and then return to Moab via Castle Valley and the La Sal Mountain loop road discovermoab.com/la_sal_mountain_loop_road.h…

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,758 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upper Colorado River Scenic Byway (U-128) - Help Please

Definitely go out and back, as noted. Way different view coming back. Only reason to go past Dewey Bridge would be if you wanted to visit the semi ghost town of Cisco, but there's no real scenery past that point that's significant. The road is not the least bit scary.

Have fun.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,071 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upper Colorado River Scenic Byway (U-128) - Help Please

Agreeing that up and back to/from the Dewey Bridge is the best plan.

Grand Junction...
Destination Expert
for Bluff
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upper Colorado River Scenic Byway (U-128) - Help Please

If you go pass the Dewey Bridge and then pass the Cottonwood Ranch on your left side maybe 1/2 /3/4 miles you'll see a pull off next to a large rock. Quite a few petroglyphs on it. Very easy to miss. Worth it. We must have driven pass them a 1,000 times before one day the light was just right.

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upper Colorado River Scenic Byway (U-128) - Help Please

Thanks for all these great responses. Looks like we will take the drive, going a bit past Dewey Bridge and returning to Moab. We also are planning the La Sal loop - I just haven't gotten into researching it yet. More questions to come! And, thanks to all of you for helping me plan this trip.

Minneapolis,Mn
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Upper Colorado River Scenic Byway (U-128) - Help Please

I agree with the out and back. Although we drove to Moab from Denver via 128 and returned to Denver on 128 so we did get to see it from both directions. I thought it was one of the nicest drives I've taken. Many stops to look around and take pictures. I agree with the other posts that there's not much past the Dewey bridge. I would turn around there if I was going to return to Moab.

8. Re: Upper Colorado River Scenic Byway (U-128) - Help Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:15