We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging/itinerary/activities for Moab/Arches/Canyonlands

B H
Oslo
Level Contributor
319 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging/itinerary/activities for Moab/Arches/Canyonlands

I'm doing a 3 week road trip Denver to LA in July/August with my 2 teenage sons (18 and 14 y.o.). The route being: Denver-Grand Junction-Moab-Arches-Monument Valley-Page-Grand Canyon (south side)-Seligman-Hoover Dam-LV-Death Valley-Mono Lake-Yosemite-SF-Highway 1/coast- via Cambria/Solvang/Santa Barbara to LA.

The first part of my trip looks like this (at the moment):

DAY 1 Landing at DEN (Denver) 19:46. Sleep over at airport htl

DAY 2 Early pickup rental car. Drive via Grand Junction to Moab.

DAY 3 Arches.

DAY 4 Drive towards Canyonlands & Monument Valley.

DAY 5 Monument Valley to Page AZ [Antelope Canyon].

DAY 6 Drive to Grand Canyon village.

DAY 7 Grand Canyon via Seligman & Hoover Dam to Las Vegas.

As a foreigner and first time visitor to the area (first time to western USA in fact) I'm asking for help and suggestions for itinerary/activities and lodging for DAY 2, DAY 3 and DAY 4.

At the end of DAY 2 I hope to reach Moab and would need some place to stay. Suggestions?

DAY 3 should be spent in the area (Arches). Suggestions on things to do/see?

After Arches I need a place to sleep between DAY3/DAY4. Suggestions? Should I start driving in the afternoon in the direction of Monument Valley via Canyonlands?

DAY4 I should go to Monument Valley and have a place to sleep there I guess. Suggestions?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,906 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging/itinerary/activities for Moab/Arches/Canyonlands

Sounds like a great trip, alot of country to get through though even though you have a good amount of time, distances are huge.

Day 2 Okay Denver to Moab. If you get an early start (which you could seeing as your body time might not have adjusted) you might have time in Grand Junction to take the detour through Colorado NM. It would be a great introduction to the area of red rock spires. Then take hwy 128 south to Moab, this will be the Cisco exit # 214 and is not well signed so watch for it. This is the scenic route along the Colorado River and is wonderful. Doing both those will make the drive about 7 hrs without stops, but you'll be stopping for the views for sure. So long first day.

Day 3. Enjoy this day in Arches: the Windows area, hike to Landscape Arch (the longest freestanding natural arch in the world) and don't miss the hike to Delicate Arch. Stay in Moab.

Day 4 It is only 3 hrs to MV so you could take the morning to visit Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point. They are fairly easy to see in a half day, again start early-- Sunrise at Mesa Arch in Canyonlands is a great place. ( galerainwater.com/blog/… randomly picked from google) Then drive to MV. There are other things/places to see and do along the way, but in a trip like this I'm not sure they are needed. Edge of the Cedars Museum in Blanding would be one place I'd stop for sure. If you head straight down 191 to MV stop in Bluff at the old fort for some history, or in Mexican Hat at the San Juan Trading post for some native crafts. Or you could take a slightly longer route and turn onto 95 then head south on 261 to see the views from the Moki Dugway, and detour for the short but fantastic views of Goosenecks.

Lodging near Monument Valley is limited. It would be best if you stayed there, at The View in the park or just outside it at Gouldings Lodge. If for some reason you can't get those (since they are booked), either Mexican Hat or Kayenta have lodging though it is would be less desirable.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging/itinerary/activities for Moab/Arches/Canyonlands

Depending on how much sightseeing you plan on doing, visiting Canyonlands and Arches would be a logical choice. Moab is a land of adventure, so an idea with a couple of sons may be to do a tour, or river raft, or some canyoneering to burn off some energy(unless the trip to Utah hasn't already done that as suggested by Kbecjeans)You can rattle off Delicate Arch and Windows in a morning or evening(Arches) to give yourself a feel for that park.

http://www.discovermoab.com/activities.htm

Stay in Moab for two nights, and pick up Needles in Canyonlands en route to MV

B H
Oslo
Level Contributor
319 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging/itinerary/activities for Moab/Arches/Canyonlands

Thanks for the suggestions.

Any suggestions for place to stay in/around Moab?

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging/itinerary/activities for Moab/Arches/Canyonlands

Unless you are looking for something unique, a good chain style hotel the Best Western Canyonlands would work fine for a base.

http://canyonlandsinn.com/

B H
Oslo
Level Contributor
319 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging/itinerary/activities for Moab/Arches/Canyonlands

Thanks for that suggestion. What are the unique options?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,906 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging/itinerary/activities for Moab/Arches/Canyonlands

Have you checked out Trip Advisor's hotel section?

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60724-Moab_Utah-Hote…

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging/itinerary/activities for Moab/Arches/Canyonlands

The list of accomodations for Moab is quite extensive. Check out TA's list as suggested by Kbecjeans. Cross reference it with this list

http://www.discovermoab.com/lodging.htm

I personally call anything unique if it does not fit in the motel/hotel category. Recently talked about places in the forum include 3 dogs and a moose, and redcliffs.More often unique comes with a corresponding price tag.

On a side note , looking for accomodations near MV should be more pressing, but maybe you have that in place already.

Moab
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging/itinerary/activities for Moab/Arches/Canyonlands

I agree that the BEST WESTERN PLUS Canyonlands Inn is a great option for lodging however I may be a bit biased. The reviews of the property are not biased and I think you will see why we have so many return guests! The location of our hotel cannot be beat! Contact me if you have any questions or need any assistance making reservations.

Sun Valley
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging/itinerary/activities for Moab/Arches/Canyonlands

Check out vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner) for condo and cottage alternatives. All the comforts of home...

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
210 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging/itinerary/activities for Moab/Arches/Canyonlands

We are staying in Coyote Run, Link: …instantsoftwareonline.com/stayusa/… now. Very nice & there is also a 2 bedroom one w/hot tub available. Should be easy to find a place that time of year.