We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from SLT to Moab this Sat: high wind advisory

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
533 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from SLT to Moab this Sat: high wind advisory

We're supposed to be traveling from SLT to Moab this Sat (if our flight won't be cancelled due high winds:)) and there is pretty scary high wind alert for Arches/grand Flat, UT until Sat., May 26, 2012 8:00 PM MDT at weather.com: weather.com/weather/…

THESE WINDS WILL BE STRONGER ON SATURDAY WITH PEAK WIND GUSTS OF 60 TO 70 MPH.

* IMPACTS... DRIVERS OF HIGH-PROFILE VEHICLES AND MOTORCYCLES SHOULD BE ALERT TO THE DANGER OF THESE WINDS ESPECIALLY WHEN DRIVING ALONG NORTH TO SOUTH ORIENTED ROADWAYS.

My initial plan was to take afternoon hikes in Arches, but now I'm not sure - maybe I have to spend more time on the road, getting to Moab in the evening.

Do you think wind can be less strong in Goblin Valley or it's going to be bad everywhere?

Which road would you take - the advisory says especially north to south roads will be affected - would you recommend take a longer route and follow Hwy 70 for the one of the last section which is west to east?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,955 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from SLT to Moab this Sat: high wind advisory

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, especially if you're just driving a passenger car. Wind is a part of the west. There's nothing I can see in the weather forecast that would cause me to do anything different. I would just take the normal route I-15 to 6 to I70 and not be concerned about it.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
533 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from SLT to Moab this Sat: high wind advisory

Thank you very much! I'll try to follow the initial plan then. We were in AZ/UT this April and it was quite windy - very windy at Monument Valley - I don't know what forecasts was saying for that day, but we survived :), although gusts up to 70 mph look serious to me and driving can be a bit scary, and I guess there will be many cars, including RVs, on the roads because of Memorial.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from SLT to Moab this Sat: high wind advisory

We're planning on driving across the California desert today with winds gusting to 60mph. It's definitely a cause for concern, but unless you just don't drive because of the wind, you just have to try to be extra careful, especially around RVs and tractor trailers. Check the state transportation dept. website for road conditions for any closures before you leave.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
294 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from SLT to Moab this Sat: high wind advisory

We do have an advisory in effect, it's been windy today (obnoxious but not dangerous), the forecast is for wind again tomorrow (Saturday) dying off in early evening. The rest of the holiday weekend should be wonderful.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,532 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from SLT to Moab this Sat: high wind advisory

Agreeing that you dont need to change your plans. Just use caution on the highway, especially around trucks and large vehicles. If you choose to pass, do it as quickly as your car can manage.

When hiking, wear a scarf or kerchief and glasses.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,955 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from SLT to Moab this Sat: high wind advisory

Just talked to some friends who were going tent camping in the San Rafael Swell near Goblin Valley. They did decide to postpone a day, but only because they were tent camping. You should be fine in a car and then just use some basic precautions, as RedRox noted, when hiking.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from SLT to Moab this Sat: high wind advisory

We made it across the California desert okay inspite of the wind. Fortunately everyone seemed to be taking it slower than their usual batoutahell speed, probably cause of the wind. Hopefully everyone else out there is using some common sense with the wind.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from SLT to Moab this Sat: high wind advisory

We went up and down 191 to I70 today and across to SR24. It was certainly windy enough to keep you alert if not quite enough to slow us down. Like Hendo says, in town it was obnoxious, out on SR24 it was unpleasant. Here's a photo I took on SR24 near the Goblin Valley turnoff where I certainly would not have wanted to be in a tent.

flickr.com/photos/…

Best of all, no gnats.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,955 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling from SLT to Moab this Sat: high wind advisory

Whew, nice shot! Wish I was there to share the adventure. Just watching sun set in the Korean mountains.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling from SLT to Moab this Sat: high wind advisory

at least it's not snow blowing like that? :) Cool shot, Noel!