We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR- Fiery Furnace and Island in the Sky

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
TR- Fiery Furnace and Island in the Sky

My sisters sure can pick em! The hottest week of the year! 105-106 Fahrenheit.

They had seen so many of my pictures, of Utah's colored formations and canyons, that I had no choice but to take them down to Moab for a couple nites. Quick 3 day trip.

Stopped to see Max and Rick at the base of the Colorado NM on our way down. ( Quality legstretcher pit stop.!!!!) Thanks for the fruit salad!

We came down 128 Cisco/River Rd on the way into Moab. Stop at Fisher Towers and Arches to check in for the Fiery Furnace hike the next day. Perfect thing to do on a 100 + degree day. (Mostly in the shade.) The rest of the day in Arches was pretty hot. Drank gallons of liquid that day.

Island in the sky was pretty comfortable the next day with temps in the high 80's and a nice breeze. We had Mesa Arch to ourself and Grandview point with hardly anyone there either. Got a nice early start. It was 104 F in Fruita Co /105 F in Rifle on the way home. The girls are still in awe of the scenery. I told them they only scratched the surface.

Here's a few pics. I'm looking forward to doing FF hike in the afternoon this Oct. should be different perspective.

https:/…

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,200 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR- Fiery Furnace and Island in the Sky

PG and the babes! Great pics.

Our son, SO and three kids left Denver for Moab and were going to spend a few days there before moving on to Sedona. After one day they had enough of the record heat and showed up here a day early so they could cool down.

Spent Tuesday at Slide Rock SP and went tubing on the Salt River today near PHX. Temp was 110.

Glad you had a good time at Moab. Looking forward to seeing you there in October.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,688 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR- Fiery Furnace and Island in the Sky

Looked like fun. Three sisters on that trip, or am I counting wrong?

Nice you got to see Rick and Max too.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR- Fiery Furnace and Island in the Sky

Two sisters and a friend, dez. They're still gushing about the Utah colors. I think i've got the perfect bike ride for us. Mesa Arch to Shafer Tr then return to Moab on the Potash rd. Mostly down, with killer scenery. We just need the shuttle up to the arch. Temps should be nice in Oct.

RR, it was plenty hot in Arches after FF hike. So glad we had a cooler in the car with plenty of cold drinks. It's even been in the 90's here in Steamboat. Muy hot for us!

Looking forward to seeing everybody in Moab.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR- Fiery Furnace and Island in the Sky

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I was baking in the Uintah Basin, but nothing like those temps.

The pictures look like you had a great time; now you need to encourage them to visit again when things are a bit more comfortable LOL~

*Pixie*

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR- Fiery Furnace and Island in the Sky

Thanks for the link to your Picasa pics , Powderglut

Grand Junction...
Destination Expert
for Bluff
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR- Fiery Furnace and Island in the Sky

Great report and pictures. Even in the heat , they looked like they enjoyed the trip. What a good brother you are.

Enjoyed having you stop by and meeting your sisters and friend was a kick.

Good thing you came last week, as the Wild Fire near DeBeque closed 70 in both directions today.

Come by for fruit salad anytime.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR- Fiery Furnace and Island in the Sky

Way to go PG!

Bring 'em to Death Valley next summer.

BTW, where is Fish Creek Falls?

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR- Fiery Furnace and Island in the Sky

{{BTW, where is Fish Creek Falls?}}

You'll have to come to Steamboat Springs so I can show you.

Death Valley? That's funny!

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR- Fiery Furnace and Island in the Sky

I thought maybe there was a waterfall near Moab I hadn't heard about.

10. Re: TR- Fiery Furnace and Island in the Sky

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 23:46