We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
601 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

Hi, we're travelling from Bryce to Moab and would ideally like to arrive 4-5pm ish. We were going to drive the interstate (as did highway 12 last time) but fancy seeing LWH canyon on the way. I think it'll be back tracking about half hour each way from the interstate. Or are we better just driving Highway 12 route again so we pass the canyon? We'll be doing that on our return after monument valley so was just trying to do a different route originally as well as saving a bit of time. cheers folks, just over a week to go now!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,984 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

Little Wild Horse Canyon is a fantastic hike - one of best and easiest slot canyon experiences. The I-70 route is only about a half hour faster than 12 so up to you. Yes, it would be about a half hour plus each way to backtrack, but you would do that twice so it would definitely be the longer way to go.

If you really do want to do the hike, make sure you get an early start. It's about a five hour drive plus any stops you make, and you'll see plenty of opportunities. You need to allow at very least two hours for LWHC and three to four is better. Also note that it does take a bit of time to get from the highway into the canyon so factor some additional time for that. If you really want to be in Moab by 4-5 p.m., you probably should leave Bryce around 6 a.m. to make it work allowing for lunch, scenic stops, hike, etc.

If you are going both ways on 12, maybe think about doing LWHC one way and Calf Creek Falls the other.

Have fun.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

My knee-jerk reaction was that taking I-70 with the back tracking down route 24 and back would be longer in both time and distance. I plotted it on Google Maps and that confirmed my thought. So, I'd say take route 12 to Torrey then route 24 to I-70, with the stop at LWH. This will be a long day of driving and hiking, regardless of the route, but if you can squeeze in a few minnutes for Goblin Valley, I think it is worth the stop.

Looks like I cross-posted with Tumbleweed. Yes, and early start will be required to make this schedule work.

Edited: 17 August 2012, 19:18
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,684 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

I always take two days between Bryce and Moab. You need most of a day to drive the 100 miles of UT12 between Bryce and Torrey. Starting from Torrey the next morning will get you to LWHC at a better time to start the hike.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,829 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

Any chance you could take the detour on the way from Monument Valley? Would you be coming up hwy 95 then? Not quite a half hour detour from the junction, but then you would only be doing hwy 12 once this trip and you could still enjoy both scenic I-70 and LWH.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
601 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

Hi all, thanks for the quick replies. We've driven hwy 12 five years ago from Bryce stopping overnight in Torrey. We did the Calf Creek Falls hike and Garden of the Gods on the way aswell as seeing some of Capitol Reef and Goblin Valley which was great. We hope to see sunrise in Bryce and get an early start but I'd originally thought that the I-70 would be different scenery although realise it's now longer if we do LWHC. It's a possibility from MV. We have all our accom booked now and will be staying in Torrey after MV. We plan on driving the moki dugway and an overlook somewhere near there, and also seeing the rainbow bridges which we've not seen before. As long as we're in Torrey by 5-6pm ish it'd be fine. That may be a better option? I'm interested in seeing new things this trip aswell as our favourites and LWHC sounds great as we previously enjoyed Antelope Canyon. How long off the highway is LWHC and how long a detour would it be if we came from HWY 95? thanks again, much appreciate all your help.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

In relation to your distance questions. Just over 20 miles from 95 in Hanksville to the turn off to LWHC/GV. Then about 15-18 miles to the dirt road turnoff to LWHC (just before GV entry). 5 miles of dirt to the LWHC trailhead.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
601 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

thank Noel O, I think the dirt road is fine with a regular rental car unless it's wet (in which case we'd not be going there)?

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

Yes, in the right conditions, a normal rental will be fine.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
238 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

The road to LWH is paved so no problem with rental.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,829 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

<<The road to LWH is paved so no problem with rental.>>

Since when? The last 5 miles was dirt last I heard.