We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days In Moab/ Southern Utah. Does this sound feasible?

Orange, California
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
10 Days In Moab/ Southern Utah. Does this sound feasible?

I will travelling from Breckenridge in Colorado. I'd like to stop at Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, and Bryce on my way back to Southern California. I went to Zion over Spring Break and that's why I'm not stopping there in case you are wondering.

I have 10 days total. I will be there from June 1st. Here is how I imagine it.

Day 1: drive from CO to Arches and spend whole day in Arches

Day 2 - 3: Arches

Day 4: Leave Arches early and go to Canyonlands (Islands)

Day 5 - 6: Canyonlands

Day 7: leave Canyonlands early and spend the whole day in Capitol Reef

Day 8: Capitol Reef - Bryce

Day 9: Bryce

Day 10: Drive back home from Bryce

Let me know what you all think about this plan! I'm willing to take out Capitol reef or just make it a stop by drive if you think I should spend more time in other parks. From my understanding, I can spend the least amount of time in Bryce to see the best of it. I'd like to spend the most amount of time in Moab and explore the area even if it's outside of the two main parks.

let me know what you think! I will be car camping the whole time and I would like to do an overnight backpacking in Canyonlands; down taylor canyons and back up via upheaval trail. What do you think about that?

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,808 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days In Moab/ Southern Utah. Does this sound feasible?

Overall plan is very good. For sure don't skip Capitol Reef. And, in fact, wouldn't hurt to build another day in there somewhere. You'll want to hike Little Wild Horse Canyon near Goblin Valley and also might consider Calf Creek Falls and Peek-a-Boo/Spooky slot canyon hike - both in Escalante area. Yes, you can spend least amount of time in Bryce as it's easily absorbed. Make sure you have one sunrise.

Have fun.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Days In Moab/ Southern Utah. Does this sound feasible?

I go infrequently to Arches (not far from where I live) and think you probably have allotted too much time there. Here's a link to their "Plan your trip" page - www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

As Tumbleweed mentioned there are some other great places near Moab to see.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Days In Moab/ Southern Utah. Does this sound feasible?

Wow,thanks so much for the suggestions! I will definitely try to do Little Wild Horse and Calf Creek Falls. Seems like I may cut out a day from Arches then and spend one more day in Capitol Reef.

I will be at bryce overnight so i'll make sure to be there for the sunrise!

I have a quick question about Capitol Reef. I'd love to the do the Halls Creek but not super confident in my navigational skills. Do you know if this route is very difficult to follow? i read it on the NP website and have mix feeling about whether i should attempt this.

Thanks so so much again for all of your help!

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,364 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Days In Moab/ Southern Utah. Does this sound feasible?

I agree with SusieLou. Spend a couple of days in Arches, unless you plan on hiking every one of the hikes, including sand dune and Fiery Furnace. Two days should be sufficient for Devils garden Primitive loop, Delicate, Windows, and park Avenue.

Take a day, and explore outside of the parks. Look for hikes to Fisher Towers, Negro Bill, Corona Arch, and Moab Rim. These hikes are along the scenic drives in Moab, which are SR 128 and Potash Road. www.discovermoab.com

5. Re: 10 Days In Moab/ Southern Utah. Does this sound feasible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 06:17