We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Archers - National Parks and Canyon Country

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheltenham, Glos...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Archers - National Parks and Canyon Country

We are going in September on the National Parks and Canyon Country with Archers. Any tips regarding activities, especially as my husband walks with a stick, would be appreciated. ? long journeys daily; appropriate clothes to wear; quality of hotels; Archers Reps. Anything at all would be useful.

Wrexham, North Wales
Level Contributor
33 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Archers - National Parks and Canyon Country

Hello Carol,

People won't know that Archers is a tour operator in the UK (even people in the UK won't know this) and not a national park with a similar name. Your best bet is looking it up on a search engine like google. There are also customer reviews on their website. Your tour operator should be your first port of call.

Looking at the tour there will be a lot of travelling involved. I just google the 2 places I start from and end at for time and distances. For example on Day 5 you are travelling from Deadwood to Cody. Just google Deadwood to Cody distance and it will come up with 5 hrs 35 minutes and 357 miles.This is without stops so expect it to take longer. Hope you have a great holiday.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Archers - National Parks and Canyon Country

Yes, first glance I thought Arches NP. Second glance I thought there was a group of people running around with bows and arrows.. yikes.

Agree with bjs... that there is unlikely anyone on this forum that will be familiar with the itinerary of a specific tour operator. Some would argue that the best tour operator would be yourself and a rental vehicle, to that you would get the best out of the parks with the appropriate amount of time. If you do decide to self tour, then there are plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum to assist you.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Archers - National Parks and Canyon Country

Thanks for the clarification, BJ. Like widmarsh, I thought the OP was at frist referring to Arches NP and then there there was some sort of targeting shooting/reenactment taking place. I'm one of the folks who suggests going the self tour route for the southern Utah parks.

Cheltenham, Glos...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Archers - National Parks and Canyon Country

Thanks bjs and widmarsh that was very useful. Coming from UK I forgot the distances involved when travelling USA. We have self toured, but it was so difficult to drive and navigate because you missed some of the scenery along the way - although a lot of it is the same. We will just sit back an enjoy the experience.

Wrexham, North Wales
Level Contributor
33 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Archers - National Parks and Canyon Country

I think you'll have a great time, looking at the long range weather forecast it's going to be 80+ degrees and sunny :-)

I just google a place with weather, eg moab weather and a list of websites come up. Just find the days that you'll be visiting each place and + and - a day and then enter your next destination to get an idea of the forecast.

Years ago we left Vegas at 10 am wearing shorts in the 80 degree heat. We were still wearing them in Zion NP during a 2 hr hike in lovely sunshine but by the time we got to Bryce Canyon it was snowing. So far, our trip in September is looking pretty good.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,593 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Archers - National Parks and Canyon Country

So it sounds like you haven't taken a bus tour before???

The tour sounds like it will be quick enough that you won't have time for any long walks anyway. If your tour guide doesn't give you some great ideas, then I would wonder what good they are anyway. That is what you are paying them for.

You'll want a sweater or jacket to wear on the bus just in case they keep it too cold for you. You'll also have plenty of time to read. It might be fun to pick up some books about the areas you'll be traveling through. Tony Hillerman detective books are light reading that really bring the 4 corners area to life. (that area where the 4 states -Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico all meet). While getting older Edward Abbey's "Desert Solitaire" is considered a classic. For Salt Lake you could try Terry Tempest Williams "Refuge", or Leonard Arrington's "American Moses". Others on the general western movement might include Irving Stone's "Men to Match my mountains", or the pulitzer prize winner "Angle of Repose" by Wallace Stegner.

7. Re: Archers - National Parks and Canyon Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 05:17