We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab via SLC or ABQ

Lost Creek, WV
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Moab via SLC or ABQ

We are starting to plan to visit to see SE Utah next June. We want to see Moab and MV. We are wondering if SLC or ABQ is best starting/returning spot. We thought NM would be different views than what we have seen before when visiting GC,Bryce and ZIon. Last time we went into Vegas then east.

We have not been to CO and thought maybe NM may give us a chance to see some of CO.

We have 7 non air travel days to get around. We figured 2 nights in MV just due to travel times . Ideas are appreciated.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moab via SLC or ABQ

The scenery going through Colorado won't be much different than anything else you're seeing in the area. Nothing mind blowing. You have to drive further east to get into the Rockies. I think overall the drive from Salt Lake would be considered more scenic, as you have the Wasatch Mountains for much of it with a couple of nice canyons like Spanish Fork and then along the Price River before entering the desert, passing the Book Cliffs before the red rock county near Moab.

If you did go through ALB you would see Shiprock and could stop at Mesa Verde before Moab and also throw in the Four Corners Monument on the way back to ABQ. Of course it wouldn't be difficult to include Mesa Verde and Four Corners in a loop coming from SLC as well. It's nearly a push in terms of total miles from SLC or ALB. Might come down to price on flights and car rentals.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moab via SLC or ABQ

Let's go Mountaineers! Not that they are going anywhere this year. But I digress (it's just good to see folks from WV on the forum).

My knee-jerk reaction is that SLC is the better option particluarly if Moab is the main focus. But looking at it on the map, I think that either SLC or ABQ would work. Working in Mesa Verde, as shake has also suggested, would make a good loop. Perhaps in this case cost of airfare and rental car will be the deciding factor.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,890 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moab via SLC or ABQ

Going into Albuquerque will be longer. However you do have several places you could explore along the way. If you go to Monument Valley/Mesa Verde one direction, you could go via Durango/Silverton/Ouray the other way.

Obviously as with any route through Utah every stop you make will take time and cut down on the time you have everywhere else.

If you want the shorter route to Moab SLC is it. You could include Capitol Reef with Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse Slot as well.

You could also look at into flying into Grand Junction. Might just depend on flight and connection times whether that would work better.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,463 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moab via SLC or ABQ

ABQ is two hours longer than SLC to Moab, but it does put you in a better position to see new territory and offers some amazing scenery. If MV is in your plan, it's probably a better choice. Look at doing a loop from ABQ up through Santa Fe to Pagosa Springs to Durango (maybe add Mesa Verde) to Ouray/Telluride and on to Moab through the Paradox Valley. Amazing route that will give you an amazing look at the Colorado Rockies. From Moab head south to MV then consider Canyon de Chelly en route back to ABQ.

Have fun.

Lost Creek, WV
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moab via SLC or ABQ

Thanks. Oddly, flying from Charleston to ABQ instead of PIT to SLC is about $120. cheaper per person. I really did not think SLC would be shorter. I may study SLC and way down more closely now. Utah has been one of our favorte places and there is always more to see. Now I will have to check out CO as well.

Thanks for the ideas.

6. Re: Moab via SLC or ABQ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 06:21