We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quirky places - Southeastern and Southcentral Utah

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
911 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Quirky places - Southeastern and Southcentral Utah

Looking for some quirky places (interesting villages, roadside oddities, great out-of-the-way food) for some variety while we're traveling for 3 weeks. I think we'll be making a loop - Grand Junction-Moab-Goblin Valley-Escalante-Capitol Reef- Zion-Monument Valley-Moab-Grand Junction

We plan to hike and backpack in several national and state parks and monuments, and I'll post questions about some of those plans, but I'm hoping that this thread will yield some unusual things to experience along the way.

Sadly, I think we'll be in a rental car, so we won't be able to enjoy the real backroads as much as we would like (pesky rental car rules about gravel roads)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quirky places - Southeastern and Southcentral Utah

Greetings and welcome out west. Sounds like a fun trip.

You're traveling to the desert and one of the most remote areas in the entire country. There is not going to be a whole lot in terms of man made entertainment, nightlife, etc. If you like outdoor adventure, you're going to be in heaven. Some of the best climbing, mountain biking, hiking, canyoneering, and river rafting anywhere.

You might want to visit some road trip planning websites. You can plug in the route and several options of things to see and do will be listed. They are actually pretty fun to play around with. I'll give you a few things to look into while driving as well.

From G.J. to Moab, take highway 128 that follows the Colorado River corridor. You can stop at the ghost town of Cisco... Just south of Moab is Hole N The Rock. http://theholeintherock.com/

Moab has several good restaurants and a couple of breweries. There are places to see dinosaur tracks imbedded in the rock, as well as Native American artifacts and petroglyphs, a museum focused on film in the area. http://discovermoab.com/

From Moab to Goblin Valley check out the John Wesley Powell Museum in Green River, Utah. Also stop in Ray's Tavern for lunch and a beer. I think there is a giant watermelon too. Past GV, but before Capitol Reef is this gas station is in Hanksville, UT.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/1314

Near Capitol Reef is the town of Torrey, which has a nice main Street with huge cottonwood trees lining the old structures converted into bookshops and restaurants. Eat dinner at the Rim Rock Inn and see the hummingbird feeders with 15 birds flying in and out at a time. Check out Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder, Utah...Near Calf Creek Falls is Kiva Koffee House.

Springdale is right outside of Zion and is a great small town with plenty to explore. On the way from Zion to Monument Valley, check out the Little Hollywood Museum in Kanab, where dozens of films were shot. Best Friends Animal Society is there too.

The obvious place to check out near Page, AZ is Glen Canyon Dam...The Four Corners Monument is near Monument Valley. These are just a few places to look into while in the area. Happy planning.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quirky places - Southeastern and Southcentral Utah

Great ideas from shake801 (I'll have to check out some of these places on my next trip!).

I'll add Cafe Diablo in Torrey. It has an interesting vibe and great food.

New York City
Level Contributor
911 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quirky places - Southeastern and Southcentral Utah

Thanks for the great ideas so far!

I should have said - it's not our first trip to the desert southwest and we are sure not looking for nightlife man-made. For the bulk of our trip, we'll be as remote as we can make it, backpacking and day hiking.

Your suggestions so far are precisely the local ideas we were hoping for. . A cold beer, a quiet village, a giant watermelon, and the Powell museum (we've read his accounts) - who could ask for more? Thanks, and keep them coming!

4. Re: Quirky places - Southeastern and Southcentral Utah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 22:07
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quirky places - Southeastern and Southcentral Utah

In addition to the Roadsideamerica site suggest to visit Best Friends Animal Society near Kanab and have a sunset drink at the Bluff cemetary. Kanab also has a movie museum Frontier Movie town. South of Kanab you'll find Pipe Spring NM that makes a pleasant visit.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quirky places - Southeastern and Southcentral Utah

Forgot about this place. It's kind of fun too. This guy has a pretty good photo gallery.

haunsgowest.com/2010/…

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quirky places - Southeastern and Southcentral Utah

the old set of Gun Smoke is not far from Kanab. Stop in at their movie museum for sure :) and the visitor's center will give you some info about the Gun Smoke set (where it is)

Sego Canyon http://climb-utah.com/Moab/sego.htm after Grand Junction and before Capital Reef

One of my favorite spots in CR is the little house - part of the original Mormon settlement- where they sell coffee and small pies made with local fresh fruits.

Moki Dugway and Muley Point.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quirky places - Southeastern and Southcentral Utah

Good advice by Wings. Here's the Fruita site: nps.gov/care/…historicfruitatour.htm

Edited: 28 December 2013, 10:27
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,637 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quirky places - Southeastern and Southcentral Utah

Quiet Villages: Hanksville, Caineville, Escalante, Green River, Orderville, Panguitch, Glendale, Blanding, really Utah is full of quiet villages... now to get beer in those some places maybe a stretch, some will have something but don't count on it. You might consider bringing your own.

If you take 89 (which would mean bypassing hwy 12 so I wouldn't recommend it) you'll see Big Rock Candy Mt.. …utah.gov/surveynotes/geosights/candymtn.htm

Near Glendale there is the Mystic River resort with fishing and a zipline. The Buffalo Bistro in Glendale is a local secret: http://www.buffalobistro.net/index2.html

Did someone already mention the Hole in the Rock south of Moab?

and the gas station in Hanksville also in the side of a mountain?

Not to mention Moqui Cave north of Kanab. www.kanabguide.com/articleDetails.cfm…

There there are the rock shops in Moab and Orderville and Springdale

For food you need to stop at Cafe Diablo in Torrey,

Kiva Koffehouse on hwy 12

Hell's backbone Grill in Boulder

Circle D in Escalante

Edited: 28 December 2013, 22:12
10. Re: Quirky places - Southeastern and Southcentral Utah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 15:35