We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aussie family want to see LA, San Diego, GC and Moab

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
aussie family want to see LA, San Diego, GC and Moab

Hi we are from Australia and we are looking for suggestions for a 3-4 week trip in October with a 5 year old. We would like to go to Disneyland, San Diego, Grand Canyon and Moab, can anyone suggest a route and mode of transport? We have been to LA, Las Vegas and Zion NP before so they are not essentials for this trip. Thank you very much

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: aussie family want to see LA, San Diego, GC and Moab

Greetings and welcome back to the States.

The California Coast seems fairly straight forward. I suppose if you 5-year-old can handle a flight across the Pacific, he can handle being in a car for 3-6 hours. From San Diego, you could either fly into a regional airport like Flagstaff or Grand Junction and rent a car. Or simply drive from California doing something like this:

7 days Disneyland to San Diego

1-2 days Phoenix

2-3 days Sedona

2 days at the Grand Canyon

1 day Monument Valley

1-2 days in Mesa Verde

3-5 days in Moab

Drive to Salt Lake City for nearest airport. If it's early October take a drive in the mountains to see fall colors. Stay a night or two in Park City.

Or Grand Canyon - Page (2 nights) - Bryce (1-2 nights) - Escalante (1-2 nights) - Torrey (1-2 nights) - Moab (3-5 nights) - SLC.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 18:44
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: aussie family want to see LA, San Diego, GC and Moab

Fly to LA

4 to 5 nights at Disney. 3 or 4 day pass should be sufficient. Could also include day to Universal Studios.

Drive to GC 2 nights.

About 8 hour drive. May want to overnight somewhere in between. Palm Springs/Las Vegas/Kingman?

Page for 2 nights. Antelope Canyon and Horse Shoe Bend.

Monument Valley 1 night

Moab 4 nights. Arches/Canyonlands.

Mesa Verde 2 nights.

Sedona 3 nights.

San Diego 4 to 7 nights. San Diego Zoo/Seaworld/Pacific Beach.

Would do some beach time in San Diego on the end of vacation for relaxation.

Between Mesa Verde and Sedona. Canyon De Chelly/ Hubbell Trading Post/ Four Corners/ Petrified Forest/ Walnut Canyon. With possible overnight in Holbrook or Winslow.

Fly out of San Diego or LA.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 19:23
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: aussie family want to see LA, San Diego, GC and Moab

Here's another possibility assuming that you're travelling by car or RV. Obviously this could be adjusted and/or enhanced as desired and I haven't tried to assign the number of days or any additional overnight stops:

San Diego

Disneyland

Grand Canyon South Rim

Monument Valley

Moab

Denver

Map: http://goo.gl/MwOFAh

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: aussie family want to see LA, San Diego, GC and Moab

Hi thank you so much. I hate to admit it but I had never heard of Sedona or mesa verde and after doing a google images search they are now both at the top of our list . Is driving from LAX to San Diego and then from Anaheim to LAX on the way home too stressful to consider?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: aussie family want to see LA, San Diego, GC and Moab

LAX to San Diego is about 125 miles (200km) but initially it's on the Los Angeles freeways which most people find extremely stressful and might be subject to severe traffic congestion. I wouldn't advise doing that drive immediately after a flight from Australia, even if you were experienced with driving in the USA. Also bear In mind the time it will take to get through immigration, transport from the airport to the car rental depot by the rental car company's free courtesy shuttle bus, and to complete the paperwork and pick up the car.

Anaheim to LAX is only about 32 miles (50km) so you'd need to decide what time to leave Anaheim allowing for possible traffic delays, the car rental return, transport from the car rental depot to the airport, and the need to check-in several hours before the flight departure time.

Video - Mesa Verde (a great place IMHO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxsbbc2jjmI

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: aussie family want to see LA, San Diego, GC and Moab

Welcome to the forum, alitimandtoby.

Great suggestions provided thus far. You might also want to post the in the Road Trips forum to get additional ideas:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

And here is a link to a travel article about touring the Grand Circle which may also be of value in your planning:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c177493/Utah:U…

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: aussie family want to see LA, San Diego, GC and Moab

Here's a video of a trip round the Grand Circle, starting and finishing in Las Vegas - but you'd need to carefully plan and check how much of this you wanted to do and how much you could do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VAgC6VsHAo

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: aussie family want to see LA, San Diego, GC and Moab

Depends on what cities at are easiest to fly in and out of. I personally don't like LAX. Too big and busy. We usually fly to Anaheim or San Diego. What options do you have with flights?

Flight to Denver and out of San Diego is a good option but may have to pay large drop-off fee for rental car.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,988 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: aussie family want to see LA, San Diego, GC and Moab

With a small kid, thinking of Disneyland, I'd go there first, spend 3 full days. After that San Diego for a couple of days, Legoland was my son's favorite. Other's have given you great information. Mesa Verde NP is great for a kid of 5 and parents.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: aussie family want to see LA, San Diego, GC and Moab

Disneyland is great but take note that there are many rides he cant go on due to height restrictions, my then 4.5yr old daughter was limited to what rides she could go on so it meant one of us had to wait while the other took the ride (we had an older son who went on most rides). Have fun. Google La Brea Tar Pits..a 5 yr old should like that, I haven't been but hope to in August...looks interesting.