We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faux Falls rear Moab

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Faux Falls rear Moab

Does anyone know roughly how far Faux Falls are from the 191 highway? We will be there in Late September and I was wondering how long a hike it is and, as a keen photographer, whether it's worth it or not at that time of the year.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,593 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Faux Falls rear Moab

sltrib.com/sltrib/outdoors/51920358-117/fall…

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Faux Falls rear Moab

Thanks.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Faux Falls rear Moab

That SLTribune link says 2 miles round trip hike from the "official" starting point. We've never had to walk that far, maybe 1/4 mile to the bottom of the falls.

If he's a keen photographer there's probably better places to spend your time. There's a reason it's called "Faux" Falls.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Faux Falls rear Moab

Noel O - OK thanks for your reply, I think I'll give it a miss. I saw a picture on the 'net of it and there was a fair amount of water coming over it. We have three nights in Moab staying at Sunflower Inn B&B and plan to take in the usual sights..

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Faux Falls rear Moab

This is the image I saw . . . . it looks a nice waterfall, so why is it called "Faux" falls?

wildnatureimages.com/Utah/Moab/Faux-Falls-Ph…

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Faux Falls rear Moab

Faux Falls because they're false, as in not natural, created by a creek diversion. And up close that is very apparent. However it really is a waterfall and the picture you linked to has captured that nicely. The rock formation and vegetation around the falls are not "right" and for whatever reason once I was there I didn't think it was actually pretty either. I'm not negative or disagree about the falls existing, I just believe there are plenty of other opportunities in your brief visit.

Here's another guide with lots of pictures that says the hike is only 200yds each way.

http://climb-utah.com/Moab/faux.htm

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Faux Falls rear Moab

Thanks for clearing that up.

8. Re: Faux Falls rear Moab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 05:17