We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self driving tour?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Self driving tour?

My knees are in bad shape. I may be able to do a little hiking, but can anyone recommend a self drive excursion or tour? Any spots we can drive to see, vista's , etc.

RicoD.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self driving tour?

Rico--The entire park is filled with beautiful views and different vistas, depending on where you are. You don't even need to leave the main roads to see gorgeous views. My suggestion would be to stop at the check-in point (where you'll have to pay the low entry fee), and ask them for suggestions.

Try to get reservations at Chisos Mountain Lodge, the only accommodations within the park, so that you don't have to commute in and out of the park each day. www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/lodging.htm If rooms are not available at the time you want to go, your best bet would probably be either in Terlingua or Lajitas. I'd plan on at least two days in BBNP to even begin to see it properly.

Enjoy your trip!

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self driving tour?

If you look at the map of Big Bend on the NP website you'll see that, although BB is huge, the miles of improved roads aren't great in number. Take the drives to Rio Grande Village and to Santa Elena Canyon where you'll find easy trails to walk to and along the river. The drive to the hot springs off the Rio Grande Village road is about 1.5 miles of unpaved but well maintained road.

Here's the link to BB River hikes:

nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/river_hikes.htm

This link provides a good look at the Santa Elena Canyon trail beginning at the parking lot

mywisewife.com/texas-big-bend-national-park-…

Try hiking poles if you haven't used them. Besides relieving stress on the knees they provide stability on rocky or uneven surfaces.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 22:01
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self driving tour?

Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive is fantastic.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
271 posts
2,371 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self driving tour?

You will enjoy the scenic drive as posted above. Take your time and enjoy.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self driving tour?

You folks are simply wonderful! We plan on going in Spetember when school is back in session and the days are still a bit long..... Thanks again!!! RicoD

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self driving tour?

I recommend driving US90 through Del Rio which is more interesting than I10 and takes about the same amount of time. Stop at Judge Roy Bean rest stop in Langtry on the way.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self driving tour?

I'd drive US 90 one way, and I-10 the other. That way you get the scenic stuff but it's not the same drive both ways. If you use I-10, watch your speed, especially around Sonora. Police there used to be quite enthusiastic in their enforcement of the posted limits.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self driving tour?

Thanks, all. We are heading out in early Feb '15

9. Re: Self driving tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2016, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Big Bend National Park