We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in September

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Topic
Camping in September

Hi,

I’ll be heading to Big Bend in September to do some hiking and I was wondering what sort of shoes I’ll need? I’ve been reading through the reviews of the different trails and it sounds like trainers/trail runners will be fine for the majority of trails but are there any that would require sturdier footwear? I’ll be travelling around for a couple of weeks beforehand so I don’t really want to be carrying round my hiking shoes unless they're definitely needed…

Also probably a bit of a long shot, but I’ll be buying a tent once I'm out there and it seems such a waste to only use it for a few days as I wont have the space to bring it back with me. I know some charities here try and recycle tents after festivals (assuming they're still in a fit state!!) so does anyone know of anywhere on the way back to Dallas where I could drop it off so that it might get re-used?

Thanks

St. Louis
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in September

Shoes are up to you and your comfort zone... my first trip to big bend many years ago I wore a mix of my everyday tennis shoes and doc martens. I can't imagine wearing the docs these days because I've graduated to boots made for hiking (and wear either a high top and low top version of the same shoe now). I don't recommend sandles (I prefer something between me and the cacti) but the only shoes I've considered unsuitable were some reebok easytone sneakers - because they had "balance ball technology" designed to make you work harder to keep your balance... a bad idea on any trail in my opinion.

Great idea about donating the tent - I hope you find a place to take it. A local may have better charity recommendations. Goodwill is a national charity that may work if you can find locations near your route: http://www.goodwill.org/about-us/ They take donations to resell in their retail stores (which provide jobs and training to those in need) or sometimes they donate the goods directly to the needy.

2. Re: Camping in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Big Bend National Park