We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In July from Santa Fe to Gunnison

Which Gunnison hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
In July from Santa Fe to Gunnison

For the last few days I'm reading posts and checking the maps in order to decide on the most scenic route. I need your help! On the way to Gunnison I would like stop in Great Sand Dunes NP and maybe take a hike. What hike would you recommend in July? My husband and I are willing to leave very early from Santa Fe.

I'll be in Gunnison/Crested Butte for wildflowers and hiking and I hope to see some wildflowers in bloom mid-July on the route from Santa Fe.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,169 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In July from Santa Fe to Gunnison

You could go from Santa Fe to Taos to Questa or roundabout to Eagle Nest/Red River/Questa.159 north to Fort Garland and on to the Great Sand Dunes. One nice hike nearby is to Zapata Falls.

From there, go west on 160 to South Fork, then take the Silver Thread Scenic Byway to Creede/Lake City and on to intersect Hwy 50, where it will be a few miles east to Gunnison.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In July from Santa Fe to Gunnison

Thank you so much, again. I will definitely take the Silver Thread Scenic Byway. I'm just curious why this road is not marked as a scenic on the AAA's map?

Is Zapata Falls Trail outside of the Great Sand Dunes or right in the park?

Do you think if we leave before 8 am from Santa Fe and stop at Grand Sand Dunes then have a leisurely drive along the Silver Thread Byway can we get to Gunnison around 6 pm. I like to get there early, have a nice dinner and get ready for an early morning hike and wildflowers the next day. Any suggestions for a nice dinner in Gunnison? I doubt we would have any extra time to take the Bachelor Loop in Creede but is this paved or unpaved road?

Thanks

3. Re: In July from Santa Fe to Gunnison

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Gunnison