We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safest driving route Gunnison to Beaver Creek

Which Gunnison hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pukalani, Hawaii
8 posts
Save Topic
Safest driving route Gunnison to Beaver Creek

We are from Hawaii and will be flying into Grand Junction to watch our son's university basketball team play games at Mesa and West State Universities. From Gunnison, we will travel to Beaver Creek. What is the safest route to drive (for people who are not accustomed to driving in winter conditions ;) from Gunnison to Beaver Creek? What type of car should we rent?

Mahalo!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
5,953 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safest driving route Gunnison to Beaver Creek

Leaving from Gunnison, you can take 50 East to 285/24 and then remain on 24 (i.e. don't make the right onto 285 and instead continue on towards Leadville) until you reach I-70 where you will head West for just a few miles before you see the Beaver Creek exit.

You want a front-wheel drive or an all-wheel drive vehicle. In my opinion, the difference between the two doesn't justify the substantially higher price for an SUV. That said, I always suggest taking a pair of the "cable variety" snow chains with you in case of emergency (you can pick them up for $50-60 in any auto parts store along the way-Junction, Montrose, or Gunnison). Regarldless, the most important thing to do for winter travel is to check the weather. If there's snow in the forcast, you may want to consider staying here in Gunnison until the weather clears up. The only other suggestion would be to plan your drive during daylight hours. Everything from wildlife to blowing snow makes driving mountain roads at night much more dangerous.

So what school does your son play for?

2. Re: Safest driving route Gunnison to Beaver Creek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2017, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Gunnison