We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for Gunnison this time of year?

Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing for Gunnison this time of year?

I am traveling to Gunnison next week for a business trip, and have never been in weather colder than somewhere in the teens (at the coldest point of day). I will not be spending extended time outside but I want to make sure to dress appropriately for the weather so I'm not freezing. Any suggestions? Thanks!

(Also - I am a female and the attire is "business casual" so I will not be wearing a suit, but no jeans either. I'm thinking long underwear under slacks with snowboots and a heavy coat?)

Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing for Gunnison this time of year?

Gunnison in general is quite casual (and cold). Slack with long underwear is the way to go along with boots and a warm jacket. That said, it's supposed to be in the 30's next week which is a whole lot warmer than the -20's that we sometimes see here in the town in January and Feb. The predicted lows (teens and single digits) happen just before sunrise and so, unless you're an early riser, I'd plan for temps in the 20's and 30's next week.

Let me know if you have any other questions and otherwise safe travels!

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing for Gunnison this time of year?

Don't forget good socks, warm gloves, sunscreen and lots of moisturizer. It may be cold but the sun is intense and the low humidity dries out skin and lips very quickly.

Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing for Gunnison this time of year?

And if you're mostly indoors, you may not need the long underwear, at least maybe not the top. Sometimes I opt for an extra removeable layer (or I should say I used to do so when I had to travel to Gunnison for work or meetings) such as a cardigan or blazer in case the meeting room is overheated.

You may want to add a hat, headband or earmuffs to cover your ears when outdoors if your coat doesn't have a drawstring hood.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,924 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing for Gunnison this time of year?

I would layer. Even in moderate climates like ours it seems like a little breeze around the knees can freeze you. A blazer can be used to advantage for a leg warmer and/or a shoulder wrap if it's too warm inside for wearing it as a jacket. Most buildings in Gunnison are either well insulated or of the older style where the heater needs to run a lot, so it depends on where the meetings are and if you need to travel outside for meals, etc. much.

5. Re: Clothing for Gunnison this time of year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 08:15
Get answers to your questions about Gunnison
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question