We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cattleman days rodeo

Pittsburgh, Pa
Level Contributor
111 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Cattleman days rodeo

Can anyone tell me a little about this? We have 3 kids under 10 years old. Would they enjoy this? Would it be difficult to do? Are there better times to go etc.?

We are looking at Pikes Peak or Bust as Gunnison would take us off our planned path some.

Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cattleman days rodeo

Not sure which one is going to appeal to you more but Cattlemens Days is the oldest rodeo in the state. It's a traditional rodeo that started in the 1800's to celebrate the end of calving season and the start of haying season and has continued on to this day right in the center of town. One of the popular themes is "Tough enough to Wear Pink" which is part of an effort to raise money for breast cancer awareness and screening. Otherwise, there's a great variety of activities from rodeo events (roping, riding...) to 4-H events judging everything from goats to rabbits. Plenty of BBQ and, in my opinion, a more authentic experience. Whether that's enough to convince you to leave the front range and explore some of the beauty of the Western Slopes of the Rockies is a question only you can answer.

http://www.cattlemensdays.com/

gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/cattlemens-days-col…

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,136 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cattleman days rodeo

make sure you pay extra and get tickets under the sheltered area, the rain moved in for us shortly after the rodeo began and I've never been so cold and miserable sitting in that downpour. We stayed for about half and then were so miserable we finally left as it did not pass through quickly. The sheltered folks were just fine. That would be my main suggestion. The Gunnison-Crested Butte area is great there's a ton to do outside with the family.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cattleman days rodeo

In addition, the area is famous for it's wildflowers. Crested Butte (just up the road) is hosting their wildflower festival the following week so there will hopefully be plenty of those gorgeous flowers in bloom. https:/…

I'd choose Gunnison/Crested Butte.

Pittsburgh, Pa
Level Contributor
111 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cattleman days rodeo

Thank you all so much.

Reply to: Cattleman days rodeo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gunnison