We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 5/24 to 5/28

Beavercreek, Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 5/24 to 5/28

Two couples - Late 30's - One couple from Ohio, one couple from Chapel Hill.

We stayed at the DoubleTree Biltmore Village. Really nice hotel, and very clean. Location was decent, but if your wanting to hang out downtown, it's a little far out. They do have a shuttle service for $5 per person. Overall we were very happy with our stay.

Wednesday 5/24

We arrived about 10:30pm on Wed night. Hit the sack as we were both wiped out and our friends weren't coming in until the next afternoon.

Thursday 5/25

Breakfast:

Biscuit head - gravy flight - bacon egg and biscuit meal - fruit plate. Great little hole in the wall place. All our food was awesome. I will say the fruit plate is enough to feed four people. It was huge. And they have a great selection of house made jams and hunny.

After breakfast we went back to the hotel and cleaned up, then headed to the outlet mall. It's your standard outlet mall for the most part. We did find a little hidden jem called Tonic MRKT. It's a beer shop with a great selection of local and craft beers as well as a bar with a few taps. We had a few samples and got some bottles to go.

Our friends got into town around noon. They were staying at ALoft. They got checked in and we met them at Wicked Weed. Pretty cool place, good beers. We just had some house chips and a few beers.

We ate lunch at Cladaughs. Decent food, nothing special. Good beer selection. Next stop was (LAB) Lexington Ave Brewery. Just had a few beers. Good stop overall. The beer garden was next. Nothing special, just had a few beers.

For dinner we went a little outside downtown to Vinnie's. really glad we decided to go here. Great food, and perfect little Italian atmosphere. Wife and I split the Greek salad, Sunday gravy, and garlic knots. Paired with a house Cab. We loved it.

Friday 5/26

Met for breakfast at Tupelo Honey right as they opened. Sat outside on the patio. It's was very nice. I got the fried chicken and biscuits. It was awesome. It's enough to feed two people easy. Wife got the champagne pancakes and avocado toast. Both were great.

We decided to tackle Biltmore after breakfast. We got some free tickets through a friend. It's was really neat to see and hear the history behind it. I highly recommend if your doing a self tour, get the audio unit. Lots of great info. It's a beautiful place and I'm glad we went.

After the main house tour we went over to the winery. We tasted a few wines and then went to the little cafe they have and got a meat, cheese, and olive board and had a bottle of wine. It's was great.

Next was Sierra Nevada. It's a little bit of a drive, but well worth it. It's massive and beautiful. They were booked up on tours for the day, so we got a pint and did the self guided tour. It's amazing the size of the place and how much product they can produce at any given time. We went out back and got a table on the patio. Great view of the mountains. They have boci ball, corn hole, and a stage for live music. We had a few beers. Great place to hang out.

On the way home we stopped in Mills Brewing. Really small place in a strip mall. Beer wasn't that great. Only had one.

For dinner we went to BarTaco. Awesome little place. They have a bunch of small tacos. They recommend 6 per person. I recommend getting all 6 pork belly tacos. It was so good. The chips and green salsa was very goo as well.

After dinner we went to Bens Tune-Up. We had a few drinks and split the firecracker bowl. It's was very good. Cool place for some live music. We had enough for one night and turned it in.

Saturday 5/27

Lazy morning, had some leftovers for breakfast. Couple trips to Starbucks. We met up with our friends around 11am at Packs Tavern. Food was great. I had the Thai salad and the BLT. It had a fried green tomato on it. Loved it. Everyone else's food was good.

After lunch we got an Uber to Omni grove park inn. Another beautiful place tucked into the mountains. We had a few drinks on the outside patio overlooking the mountains. We walked around a little, but unless your staying here, not much to see.

Got another Uber to drop us off at GreenMan brewing. Great beer. Played some darts and had a few beers.

Walked to Burial. I had been waiting for this one. I had heard they had really good beers. They did not disappoint. Had several and all were good. Wife had a donut stout that was served with a donut hole.

Catawba was next. It's a bigger place. Beer was good. Had a few and then moved on.

We stopped in Twin Leaf. We saw the ping pong table and immediately knew we would be here for a little while. Had a few beers, some soft pretzels and some hummus and pita chips. Played a bunch of ping pong and foosball.

Next was HighWire Brewing. Normal warehouse brewery. Good beers. We had several. Glad we stopped.

We were about ready for some dinner. It was late. We stopped in several places, but they all had really long wait times. We were hungry and tired. We walked in Barleys and they were able to seat us right away. We got some salads and then split the white pizza. It was very good. I would come back here for sure. Called it a night.

Sunday 5/28

It on the road about 7am to head home. 6hr drive, not too bad. Stopped at the Sevierville exit and had breakfast at Flapjacks. It's was good. It held us over until we got home.

Overall it was a great long weekend. Looking forward to coming back sometime soon.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
Biltmore Village
Biltmore Village
871 Reviews
Asheville, NC
Biscuit Head
Biscuit Head
457 Reviews
Asheville, NC
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Tupelo
Tupelo
Mississippi
Pack's Tavern
Pack's Tavern
1,144 Reviews
Asheville, NC
The Omni Grove Park Inn
The Omni Grove Park Inn
7,345 Reviews
Asheville, NC
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Sunny Point Cafe
££ - £££, American, Cafe
Curate
££ - £££, Mediterranean, Spanish
2 replies to this topic
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 5/24 to 5/28

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for posting the trip report. I'm sure it will be helpful for future travelers.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
17 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 5/24 to 5/28

I wish I could figure out how to save your whole trip, so I could copy it. Loved all your comments about breweries. We are going from Wednesday to Sunday in November. We are very much looking forward to having some of the local beers. Thanks for posting it was very helpful.

Reply to: Trip Report - 5/24 to 5/28
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted