We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best drive from Asheville to Boone

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Best drive from Asheville to Boone

I am planning a weekend trip to Asheville in mid October. I arrive Thursday and need to be back in Asheville by late Friday afternoon to meet up with my group. I am looking for recommendations for a scenic drive to Boone/Blowing Rock area Thursday afternoon, returning Friday afternoon. I am interested in seeing the fall scenery, and maybe stopping for a short hike. I will be solo, so I would prefer a well-marked, easily accessible from the road, hiking trail. Also looking for cute downtown area with local shops and restaurants to visit before I drive back on Friday morning. Would you recommend Boone or Blowing Rock?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Mentioned in this post
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Boone
Boone
Blowing Rock
Blowing Rock
5 replies to this topic
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best drive from Asheville to Boone

Obviously it's the Blue Ridge Parkway! It's a great ride with many overlooks and lots of places to stop to hike. Blowing Rock and Boone are both nice. Boone is a college town. If App State is playing football at home that weekend it can get a bit crazy (appstatesports.com/schedule.aspx…). Blowing Rock is a little more boutiquey and touristy.

Here's your route if you're having trouble getting Google Maps to show it to you: https://goo.gl/maps/GCpWi1X29z62

The parkway is a slower speed limit (45 mph) and is a unit of the National Park Service. You can check their website for road conditions: www.nps.gov/blri/ . It's a _very_ popular drive in October which is peak season in the mountains. You will have lots of other folks hitting the road with you, but if you can do most of your driving on Thurs and Friday that will be less crowded than Sat & Sun. Foliage changes based on elevation. The mountaintops start changing color sooner and several weeks later as you get to lower elevations. If you're still seeing green leaves where you are, head up higher. If you're seeing brown leaves or bare trees, head down lower.

Some good websites with area info:

https:/…BlueRidgeParkway.htm

(You will be doing the section between the Folk Art Center in Asheville and Moses Cone Park in Blowing Rock.)

www.exploreasheville.com

www.exploreboone.com

www.blowingrock.com

Have Fun!

Edited: 12 August 2017, 23:49
Mentioned in this post
Blue Ridge Parkway
Blue Ridge Parkway
6,646 Reviews
Blowing Rock
Blowing Rock
Boone
Boone
Asheville
Asheville
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,155 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best drive from Asheville to Boone

Blowing Rock has the cute downtown area and is very walkable, Its more historical also. Boone is more spread out and partly college town. Mid October is prime leaf season so roads will be crowded and some places may already be booked. I would not wait to book a place to stay. The Blue Ridge Parkway is the most popular route. Great scenic views. I cant help with the hikes but you could also post this on the Road Trips forum to get more info.

Mentioned in this post
Blowing Rock
Blowing Rock
Boone
Boone
Blue Ridge Parkway
Blue Ridge Parkway
6,646 Reviews
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best drive from Asheville to Boone

Not sure what you mean by "more historic." There is plenty of history in both Boone and Blowing Rock. Boone has Hickory Ridge Living History Museum (http://www.hickoryridgemuseum.com/) and Horn in the West Outdoor drama in the summer that depicts the early settler history of the area. You can read more about the history of the area here: highcountryhost.com/the-history-of-the-settl…

Good advice to go ahead and book now. Hotels will fill up completely.

Mentioned in this post
Boone
Boone
Blowing Rock
Blowing Rock
Hickory Ridge Living History Museum
Hickory Ridge Living...
47 Reviews
Boone, NC
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best drive from Asheville to Boone

Blowing Rock and area are typical mountain communities. Casual, beautiful setting, friendly people and quaint. Boone is our market city and home of Appalachian State University. I suggest staying in BR.The BRP is a beautiful, slow drive with many pullovers for views, traffic and slow drives. I suggest taking the BRP going and since your Friday schedule is tighter, go back to Asheville by one of your options.

If you stay in the downtown BR area, you can walk to many places. There are several inns and Chetola Resort.

www.Blowingrock.com

www.visitncmountains.com

Edited: 13 August 2017, 02:34
Mentioned in this post
Blowing Rock
Blowing Rock
Asheville
Asheville
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best drive from Asheville to Boone

Blowing rock is beautiful, but nothing like chimney rock 35 mins south of asheville. Look it up, the scenery is amazing. Also lake lure is very beautiful which is right next to it, and they do boat tours. The movie "dirty dancing" was filmed at lake lure, and "the last of the mohicans" was filmed at chimney rock. Chimney rock has a very nice and rustic town area with lots of shops to explore. Boone is nice, but asheville area easily has it beat. If you're set on blowing rock in Boone, then definitely take the blue ridge parkway as the others have suggested.

Mentioned in this post
Blowing Rock
Blowing Rock
Chimney Rock
Chimney Rock
Boone
Boone
Reply to: Best drive from Asheville to Boone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted