We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to Visit

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
3 posts
Save Topic
Best time to Visit

I am going to be driving alone from Kansas City to see friends outside of brevard nc. I was wondering what the best time of year is. I was thinking early Sept or late Sept early Oct. Any thoughts on the best time to see the mountains for the first time. Also is there other places I should stop and see between Kansas City and NC. I have never been to NC. Can't wait

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to Visit

If you have the option of going in October, even early October, you have more of a chance of seeing our fall foliage. It is only about 1/2 hr from Brevard up to Cashiers/Highlands where you will be closer to 4000 ft and should see lots of color.

As far a stopping enroute - depends on how you are driving...try a mapquest and see the major cities and then ask from there.

Kansas City
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to Visit

ake the US-19 / US-23 exit- EXIT 27- toward CLYDE. 0.3 miles Map

11: Merge onto US-74 W. 0.5 miles Map

12: US-74 W becomes ramp. 0.2 miles Map

13: Merge onto GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS EXPY / US-23 S / US-74 W. 4.2 miles Map

14: Take the US-276 S exit- EXIT 102- toward WAYNESVILLE / BREVARD. 0.1 miles Map

15: Turn RIGHT onto US-276 / RUSS AVE. Continue to follow US-276. 1.0 miles Map

16: Turn RIGHT onto N MAIN ST / US-23 BR / US-276. 0.4 miles Map

17: Turn LEFT onto PIGEON ST / US-276. Continue to follow US-276. 17.2 miles Map

18: Turn LEFT onto CRUSO RD / US-276. Continue to follow US-276. 18.5 miles Map

19: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto US-276 S / US-64 W / ASHEVILLE HWY. Continue to follow US-64 W.

This is the way I will be coming..

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to Visit

ok but those directions areonly once you are in NC , correct? I thought your question was about places between KC and NC?

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to Visit

I agree that fall is the best time visit. Not only are the colors nice, but there are lots of fall festivals going on, and the roadside stands are brimming with apples and cider and good stuff! Best wishes.

Kansas City
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to Visit

Turn RIGHT onto MO-291 N / NE 291 HWY. Continue to follow MO-291 N. 8.3 miles Map

5: Merge onto I-70 E via EXIT 16B toward ST LOUIS (Crossing into ILLINOIS). 238.4 miles Map

6: Keep RIGHT to take I-64 E via EXIT 2 toward LOUISVILLE. 75.1 miles Map

7: Take I-57 S toward MEMPHIS. 47.3 miles Map

8: Merge onto I-24 E via EXIT 44 toward NASHVILLE (Passing through KENTUCKY- then crossing into TENNESSEE). 183.7 miles Map

9: Take I-40 E toward KNOXVILLE (Crossing into NORTH CAROLINA). 266.3 miles Map

10: Take the US-19 / US-23 exit- EXIT 27- toward CLYDE. 0.3 miles Map

11: Merge onto US-74 W. 0.5 miles Map

12: US-74 W becomes ramp. 0.2 miles Map

13: Merge onto GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS EXPY / US-23 S / US-74 W. 4.2 miles Map

14: Take the US-276 S exit- EXIT 102- toward WAYNESVILLE / BREVARD. 0.1 miles Map

15: Turn RIGHT onto US-276 / RUSS AVE. Continue to follow US-276. 1.0 miles Map

16: Turn RIGHT onto N MAIN ST / US-23 BR / US-276. 0.4 miles Map

17: Turn LEFT onto PIGEON ST / US-276. Continue to follow US-276. 17.2 miles Map

18: Turn LEFT onto CRUSO RD / US-276. Continue to follow US-276. 18.5 miles Map

19: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto US-276 S / US-64 W / ASHEVILLE HWY. Continue to follow US-64 W. 3.4 miles Map

20: End at Brevard, NC US

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to Visit

Around Oct.1-15 is best for leafers but you might think August, which is not only a great time to visit the NC mountains but a great time to get out of Kansas, or eastern NC for that matter. Hendersonville and Flat Rock , along with Asheville are also quite nice and are sort of on your way, but I am sure your friends will have a nice itinerary for you.

Fairview, North...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to Visit

Actually, I think the most fabulous time in Asheville is mid-April to mid-May--everything in bloom, everything fresh. The town isn't so crazy crowded as October, and there's still lots to do (Festival of Flowers at Biltmore, lots and lots of garden tours). It may be too soon, but if not, the mountains are enchanting this time of year, and most folks don't realize it.

cleveland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to Visit

Happy to hear you say that mtnview because we will be visiting from April 21-25. It is snowing (a white-out) here right now and I can't wait to see something green.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to Visit

we had 3 inches of snow here in Asheville/Weaverville last night but things should be better/different by your visit.

cleveland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to Visit

I wish we has 3 inches. We had 2 feet. I just finished shoveling it off the drive. Happy Easter!