We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitewater Rafting Cos & Lodging options for a group?

NC
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Whitewater Rafting Cos & Lodging options for a group?

I would love to do a weekend in Asheville w/ a few couples, but am not sure of the reputations of the various rafting companies in the area. I'd also like to find a nice cabin/townhouse type of lodging for 6-8 people not too far from the rafting area. Nothing TOO rustic but not a hotel...???

Thanks!

smyrna, north...
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitewater Rafting Cos & Lodging options for a group?

you might try nantahala area for cabins. we stayed with cherokee mountain cabins a couple of years ago. they have cabins with all the amenities. if you share the cost with a couple of other couples, it may be about the same cost as a motel. whatever cabin you decide on, be sure they are air conditioned and find out what they

supply. some don't provide sheets, towels etc. good luck!!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
50 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitewater Rafting Cos & Lodging options for a group?

Personally I would only use Nantahala Outdoor Center. When we took our trip with them we saw other companies rafts stranded on the river that were deflating. I also will only raft with a guide. The guide made our trip with tips and telling us where to row and which way. It was wonderful.

They have lodging packages; however, I have never stayed thereso I cannot comment on their facilities.

www.noc.com

Bryson City is the closest town there and the Nantahala Village Resort & Spa has great eats. Again, I've never stayed there. I've only eaten there.

Satsuma, Alabama
Level Contributor
188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitewater Rafting Cos & Lodging options for a group?

I also like NOC.com They have several rivers they raft down in western carolina. Go on line and get there phone and give them a call for info. These people are really great because the company is OWNED by the employees. They can steer you toward possible lodging. Wish I was BACK there now, love the area. Have a great trip, jim

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
747 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitewater Rafting Cos & Lodging options for a group?

A third recommendation for NOC. THey are well respected, been there for ages, etc.

Lewisville, North...
Level Contributor
271 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitewater Rafting Cos & Lodging options for a group?

Can I make it a fourth? NOC is VERY professional. I went to Western and we always used them when we went down the Nantahala. My husband and I also used them during a recent family reunion. We had two very full boats of family members heading down the river.

Enjoy!

Lewisville, North...
Level Contributor
271 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitewater Rafting Cos & Lodging options for a group?

As far as cabins go, check out Bryson City. Beautiful area, spotless cabins.

carolinamountainvacations.com/ourcabins.asp

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
75 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitewater Rafting Cos & Lodging options for a group?

In the Bryson City area, Google Search "Falling Waters resort". They are an outfitter that runs trips not far from NOC. I've never rafted with them, but that's not why I recommend looking them up. They have a superb yurt village that is the perfect cross between luxury and camping. Each yurt has a queen size bed and other furnishings, including a ceiling fan and fridge. There is running water at each yurt and a fire pit and grill. Each yurt has a deck. There is a wonderful bathhouse that has 5 individual bathrooms and best of all a jacuzzi in the middle of the woods. When we stayed there we saw deer, wild turkey and coyote (yep!). Look it up. I highly recommend it.

8. Re: Whitewater Rafting Cos & Lodging options for a group?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 06:25