We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with the Biltmore

Grass Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
164 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Help with the Biltmore

We will be visiting the Biltmore in June. We can visit on a Sunday or a Monday. Which would be the best day for crowds? I have an 11 year old girl and a 16 year old son. What activities should we do? We will be able to arrive around 9:00 am. I really want to be sure to make the most of this visit. DD is an equestrain so a visit to the horse barn will most likely have to be on the agenda. She will not be interested in a trail ride as she is a jumper and that would be a little boring to her. My son want to do a seguway tour. Would we have time? Can my DD go on the seguway tour? Thanks for your help.

Asheville, North...
Destination Expert
for Asheville
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with the Biltmore

Onumom,

Greetings from a transplanted Kicking Mule('73)!

During summer months, there's not much difference between Sunday and Monday at the Biltmore Estate except the restaurants are likely to be more crowded for Sunday lunch.

Most 'tweens and teens get restless more quickly touring the house. It is fascinating to most adults and a fairy castle to children, but not so entertaining to the iPod generation. Likewise, the Winery and the gardens and greenhouses are filled with amazing stuff all summer long, but kids tend to lose interest in flowers and trees. A fun way to pique their curiosity is to rent one of the movies made at the house that showcase it. My favorite is "Being There" with Peter Sellers, followed by "Richie Rich" with McCauley Culkin.

Segway tours are a new experience, but minimum age is 13. biltmore.com/visit/…segway_tours.asp

From that same weblink, you can go to the pages for the Equestrian Center. Check the events schedule to see if there is an equestrian event the day you're planing to visit..its all more interesting when there are hundreds of horses and riders on the grounds along the river.

Between the house, the gardens, the Winery, the farm , the Equestrian Center and walking the trails, there is enough to see and enough happening at Biltmore Estate to keep teens on the move for a day. If you are going to be in Asheville for more than a day, the Biltmore Estate is unique as to the house, garden and winery, but there are lots of indoor and outdoor activities for teens other than and better than Biltmore.

Western North...
Level Contributor
407 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with the Biltmore

Biltmore Estate hosts the Summer Classic Horse show, one of the biggest hunter/jumper shows in the United States in July so you will be bound to see some jumpers practicing in the facilities.

There is more activity at the stables on the weekends then the weekdays. Hope this helps.

north carolina
Level Contributor
121 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with the Biltmore

Something to consider instead of the segue is that the Biltmore has a 'rafting' trip on the French Broad River through the property. This is pretty calm water but allows you to see the property in a different way and may be more exciting to tweens and teens.

4. Re: Help with the Biltmore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 09:26