We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foliage Timing

Florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Foliage Timing

Hi all,

We're planning a fall foliage trip to Smokey Mountains Nat. Park and Asheville and this time we're going to get there, especially since the foliage is predicted to be outstanding this season and it's not as last minute as our attempt the previos fall. Which dates should offer the most colorful foliage in Smokey Moun. Nat. Park, Blue Ridge Parkway and the Asheville area: we are considering either 10/16-10/20(driving back to FL) or 10/24-10/28 (driving home)? We were considering staying 2 nights in Bryson City and 2 in Weaverville, or some combination thereof. We're seeking the most color at the mid to lower elevations in these areas. We need to reserve before everything is booked, so, as always, I greatly appreciate your help! Thanks.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foliage Timing

if only we could predict....we've lost a lot of our leaves because of the drought...I'm surprised to hear that they are saying it is going to be a good fall color show.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Foliage Timing

I've always found later rather than earlier ( in October) is the safest bet. But, as stated - it's too hard to predict. You should see color either of those weeks. The whole month of October ( and usually early NOvember) is lovely in the mountains. Best wishes.

Weaverville, North...
Level Contributor
790 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foliage Timing

Last night's local (Asheville) news featured an interview w/ a UNCA scientist about leaf colors. She says that the drought may have actually helped the colors as it stresses the trees and their reaction is to put more pigment into the leaves. Colors will depend on rain throughout the season, the number of cold nights and rain between now and October.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foliage Timing

visitnc.com/fallcolor/fallcolor_report.asp

Florida
Level Contributor
114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foliage Timing

Thank you all so much! I tried to play it a little safe and chose 10/22-10/26 (driving home) so that's slightly earlier but, still on the later end, based on most advice. I was afraid the leaves might be gone if a late October storm comes along.I still have some flexibility at this point, so if anyone feels that's too early and I should stick with 10/24-10/28 please let me know. Thanks again. You have all been so helpful.

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foliage Timing

You can keep track and see previous years here, Updated WEEKLY

discoverpigeonforgecabins.com/fc2008/fall_co…

Tn
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foliage Timing

Sorry

discoverpigeonforgecabins.com/fc2008/fall_co…

8. Re: Foliage Timing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 06:19