We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route for best color Oct 18th and 25th?

Which Asheville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Best route for best color Oct 18th and 25th?

We are driving from Washington, DC to Asheville, leaving this weekend. Our trip down will be on Sat & Sun, Oct 18th and 19th, and we're returning the following week on Fri. and Sat., Oct. 24th and 25th.

I initially intended for us to ride down 81 on the earlier part, and then either take 81 back or take the more southern route of 95 back. My understanding was that the leaves might have changed color more along the 81 route, and foliage watching is one of our main reasons for taking this trip.

However, we have friends in Richmond that we would like to see on the way down. Going from Richmond back up to 81 will add another hour of driving to the trip, whereas staying on 95 won't.

If the foliage along 81 will be generally prettier than along 95, than that extra hour of driving is worth it to us. Does anyone know? All I can find online are leaf reports saying there is not that much color yet. (www.foliagenetwork.net/index.php…)

Maybe we should just plan to take 81 home and see more color that way?

Thanks for any advice you may have!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route for best color Oct 18th and 25th?

There should be good color in the high elevations - already some there! If it were me and I had the time I'd take 81 any day ( or the Parkway at least part of the way!)! Best wishes.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route for best color Oct 18th and 25th?

Just saw a good slide show made yesterday along the Blue Ridge Parkway near Grandfather Mountain - lots of color. The slide show is on www.charlotte.com

Cullowhee, North...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route for best color Oct 18th and 25th?

Take the Blue Ridge parkway south to Great Smoky Mountains National Park you will see fantastic views and wonderful color in the forests. The BRP is closed until next year from Craggy Gardens to Mt. Mitchell. Head south on the road and you will not be dissapointed.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route for best color Oct 18th and 25th?

Thanks, folks. Sounds like we should take 81 and at least consider veering off to the Blue Ridge Parkway (the section that is not closed) for part of the trip, and/or going south on the BRP on a daytrip once we're in Asheville. In any case, y'all have convinced us not to go with 95. Thanks very much for the input!

Hendersonville, NC
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route for best color Oct 18th and 25th?

I'd agree with the 81 route. I drive from Hendersonville to the DC area every now and then and prefer 81 for sure.

We recently drove to Charlottesville, VA and drove on the Blue Ridge Parkway for about 45 mile or so (if I'm remembering correctly). It was beautiful.

http://hendersonvilleepicurean.blogspot.com

http://bloghendersonville.blogspot.com

6. Re: Best route for best color Oct 18th and 25th?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 11:33